*** turn your lights on!

vrbob

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!
Reaction score
Ok so now as the same as most people i leave for work in the dark and come home in the dark. So why is it that there are still so many people driving about with no lights on! its just a switch and does not cost you any money so turn them on! Most cars even have a handy little icon on the dashboard that comes on to tell you that they are on so other people can see you on the road.

On a side rant cyclists with either no lights or 1 billion candle power LEDS that flash in my eyes are ****** annoying too.

Rant over (for now)

Reactions: mitch18
Totally agree with this....I have seen so many cars driving around in the dark with no lights on at either around 7am or 5pm when it is pitch black!

Every dash/instrument cluster I have ever seen light up when you have your headlights on...so how the feck are people even seeing what speed they are going :-\ Do these people even look at there dashboard ***!!?

Have to say there has been one or two times when i have forgotten to turn them on because im in the town and just got in and started moving away - not a good practice i know but soon realise when i look down and see the instrument cluster in pitch black!

Its these times in the winter that are the worst for it though because of the early dusk / later sunrise and clearly the school run mums don't know what headlights are for.... But its ok there are in the range rover so dont worry......
(they arent the only ones i know but i notice because of where i live)

It's either one of 3 things lately, 1) No lights 2) one light because they are too lazy to change a bulb or 3) all of the lights, fogs ,front and rear regardless of impact to dazzling other road users.

I dont mind the cars but the cyclist especially when the dont have no form of hi vis or bright coloured clothing with no light does it for me.
And when they dont bother indicating. Basically dont like majority of the cyclists out there.

No-one can get lights right, it seems. Cyclists have million-watt LED rear lights flashing away, and then a dying candle hidden in a sock for their front light, just so you can't check your mirror for them. They don't seem to understand that cars have lights on the front, and not the back.

Also, at least 5 times a day I shoot at the top of my lungs "It's not f***ing foggy, a$$ hat!". The basic level of motoring competence in this country is unbelievable.

Also, when stuck in snow/ice, sitting spinning your wheels for minutes at a time won't get you anywhere, it'll just wake me up at 7:30am. If you don't get any grip after about 5 seconds, stop and try something else.

Reactions: roysterdsb
oh thats what the switch is for
i do forget sometimes when im in town but my clocks are lit when ever cars running

Does my head in too! I drive with my headlights on regardless of the time of day/light levels. As well as making me more visible, it helps other road users differentiate between me and cars that aren't in use (i.e. parked). Daytime running lights should be the norm if you ask me. The Scandinavians have it right.

I must say, people not using their headlights doesn't annoy me half as frequently as people who don't indicate. No matter how expensive your car is, how slick you think you look as you surprise everyone behind you as you veer from lane to lane on the motorway, or how much you enjoy seeing all the other roundabout users sitting at the front of the queue, holding up traffic as you blindly swerve off at your chosen exit without allowing everyone else to maintain momentum, thus causing unnecessary tailbacks....if you don't indicate/don't understand how to, you should be re-taking your test!

i hate idiots w/out lights (especially cyclists in dark clothes) almost as much as those rectums who can't be bothered to clear the snow off their windows. i'd cite them all for reckless endangerment and crush their cars.

Oh, and while we're on the subject, sidelights are useful for little more than being used as parking lights. On the road, they're worthless! Go the extra click, and people will see you!

Whats with sidelights and fogs as well?

What does that solve and assist with....NOTHING!!!

Its so annoying at the moment noticing how many cars are driving with a bulb out and then trying to compensate with putting their fog lights on, even they are often not right too!!

I go through a few country lanes from time to time going to and from work and when its pitch black with no lights its very apparent how some people have no sense of lighting and how valuable it is!!

I do get annoyed with people for having their lights on when it is a nice sunny day. Vauxhall and Volvo mandatory? Why? It is annoying!

Its useful to have lights on when the sun is out, especially along the motorway, when the sun is low and blinding, and cars in front who don't have lights on makes those behind slam on. Very scary.

I do get annoyed with people for having their lights on when it is a nice sunny day. Vauxhall and Volvo mandatory? Why? It is annoying!
I've got to ask, what annoys you about it? Unless they have their main beams on, I honestly can't think of a single reason for this being annoying to anyone.

Its so annoying at the moment noticing how many cars are driving with a bulb out and then trying to compensate with putting their fog lights on, even they are often not right too!!

Oh my god! I'd say this was 1 in 10 cars in Aberdeen... if a bulb is gone, go buy another one!

The lights are dazzling in the rear mirror. At least with the Volvo it is just side lights, with the Vauxhall it is main beam and it gets on my nerves when it is 90 degree heat, the sun is shining, and I have lights catching my eye in my rear mirror.

If it is such a good idea to have main lights on, all cars would do it.

i hate idiots w/out lights (especially cyclists in dark clothes)
Contractor who works regular nites has these Knog Frog Review and wears dark clothes !!
I keep on telling him he needs to be lit up like a Christmas tree but he don't need my advice.

The lights are dazzling in the rear mirror. At least with the Volvo it is just side lights, with the Vauxhall it is main beam and it gets on my nerves when it is 90 degree heat, the sun is shining, and I have lights catching my eye in my rear mirror.

If it is such a good idea to have main lights on, all cars would do it.
Agreed, if people are driving behind you (or approaching you) with their main beam on, then yes, that is annoying and dangerous. But headlights should not be annoying, dazzling or distracting in the daytime OR at night, which means they do no more than improve a car's visibility.

Don't worry, no-one's saying everyone should be driving around with their main beams on at all times! :lmfao:

I do tend to have my lights on alot more now, just normal headlights though (no fogs or dazzling illegal hids) my reason for this is because I have my son in the car with me, if anything its just to bring attention that I am there, its sort of following the line of bikers having their lights on all the time as I dont want anyone driving into me and affecting the most important thing in my life (my lad not the car...lol)

After seeing it pointed out in here there are alot of 1 light warriors out there man up and buy some bulbs!

Indicators is always a point of contention as again it does not hurt to use them so why not do it?

To be honest i think DRL`s are brilliant and i would rather people had lights on all the time as yeah it can be a bit weird seeing people with them on on a sunny day but its better than driving around in the dark without them.

the full beam icon on peoples dashboards should be as bright as the headlights themselves so they know they are blinding oncoming motorists.

Laslty i have also seen this over the last few days and thats cars that were never designed to have xenons fitted eg a MK2 fiesta driving around with the worlds brightest headlamps of which neiether point in the right direction but its ok cos they look cool!

I got really irritated a couple of years ago about people running around with one headlight out. It's bad enough if they are goping the other way but soem seem to speed up if the are behind you so the can sit right on your back bumper and see with your lights. I used to pass a woman in an old school mini, now they didn't have good lights to start with and the one this car had was decidedly yellow in colour. I passed her every nigh ging home from work for 3 months with 1 light, she must have been eating a lot of carrots or something. I mena it's an old ar, changing a bulb shouldn't be that hard!

You've all missed a point. Many drivers are now too poor to drive fast, tax insure or MOT their cars. Furthermore should a headlight fail then at no way can they afford a new replacement, and there are few scrapyards that are likely to have second-hand parts.
EVERY nightime journey I make within 5 minutes I will encounter a car with only one headlight on, my total count is 24 within 30 minutes. They ALL get a blast of my high beam the poverty-ridden oiks.

EVERY nightime journey I make within 5 minutes I will encounter a car with only one headlight on, my total count is 24 within 30 minutes. They ALL get a blast of my high beam the poverty-ridden oiks.

With all due respect, what your doing is worse, and you shouldnt be driving.

Not long ago I nearly came off the road blinded by a van flashing main beams at a car he was following, on a dark unlit b road in wet conditions. Luckily I was driving with care due to conditions and i was ok. IIRC a question about what to do in this situation came up in my theory test, and your answer would fail you !

On the subject of lights, i drive 90% of the time with them on, purely to be seen better. Fact, youll see another car sooner with there lights on. Its defensive driving. New cars have day running leds, same reason.

FOG LIGHTS!OMG! If you can see 500 yards in front of you and im 100 yards behind you , i dont need you to suddenly turn them on!! in fact, when i approach flowing traffic and a car closer behind me i turn mine off again, no need to dazzle! Fogs are for low visibility, like 100metres or maybe even feet i dont know, i just use common sense!

To the corsa who flew past me at something-fast-above-70mph yesterday, you didnt use your fogs catching up to me, why put them on when you got 2 foot in front?! idiot. no i didnt main beam him!

I think another reason many motorists forget to turn their lights on when it gets dark, is due to the fact many modern vehicles now illuminate the dashboard/clocks on ignition (as mentioned above).

I don't fall victim to this as I'm spoilt with the AUTO function on my headlight switch. But if I do happen do be driving a car without. The general rule is to turn them on as soon as you see any street light illuminated and if you're not in an urban area you should have them on regardless...

What gets my goat is when drivers park facing on coming traffic with their lights ON.