1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Few Questions - S3

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by mattyboy199, Jan 31, 2007.

1. mattyboy199

mattyboy199 Well-Known Member

I dont intend to buy one just yet maybe a few years down the line but just wondered about a few things.

1. Does this S3 hit 60 in 2nd ?

2. Whats depreciation gonna be like ?

3. Anyone opted for 2 piece wheels ? surely they look better ?

Thanks

Matt

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. MattW

MattW Reverse

1. Will tell you once it's run in
    2. Good I hope, limited numbers make for an exclusive car
    3. I like the standard wheels, the 2 piece wheels are a 600 option and will make it look more like a standard car. At some point the RS wheels may be available.

4. mattyboy199

i was expecting more of a response guys !

5. jamiekip

jamiekip Guest

Hey,

I've not actually received mine, but some of the guys on here and on tyresmoke.net are saying:
    1. Yes you can hit 60 in 2nd, but you're over the redline to do it..... so probs not what you'd be trying to do at every set of lights!
    2. Depreciation should be low if it's anything like the last car - if you're waiting a couple of years a good spec, with avergae mileage would be around £21-23k, I was told after 3 years I should easily get £16-18k. However, if an RS3 actually does appear, that may have a negative impact.
    3. Not sure if anyone has opted for them, but, they are an expensive option, that can be specced on an s-line - a couple of people have mentioned that they chose the standard S wheels because they are S3 only... I know that's why I specced them.

Hope that helps... and roll on March 1st!! :)

6. jamiekip

jamiekip Guest

7. Tooks

Tooks Active Member

Mmm, I think those wheels are a bit too fussy for the S3.

More hideous in my eyes though is the red leather centre sections on the seats... :puke2:

8. mattyboy199

i dont think the standard S3 wheels are that nice TBH..

9. steve184

steve184 Active Member

course it will hit 60 in 2nd gear - any performance petrol needs to otherwise the 0-60 times go up the spout - look at diesels they have such slow 0-60 times simply because they can't hit 60 in 2nd. Who is gonna buy an S3 which will only do 55 in 2nd - requiring an extra gearchange and an extra .5 of a second on the acceleration

PS if your scared of redlining an S3 (or any performance motor for that mater) you should not have one - get a diesel for god sake

10. mattyboy199

mate the 8L shape S3 cant hit 60 in 2nd.

11. jamiekip

jamiekip Guest

It's true, the old S3 would not hit 60 in second, bar a few people who had re-maps and got the rev limiter raised!!!!
    God knows why Audi didn't build it to hit 60 in 2nd in the first place!!!

12. eko

eko New Member

Red leather often looks very bright or even pink in photos but normally looks good real life.

13. s3rob

s3rob New Member

The new S3 does 60 at about 6900rpm in 2nd. The rev limiter cuts in at 7000-7100rpm.

If you were doing 0-60 2nd gear is quickest. If you were doing 0-100 you would change into 3rd just before 60 or you would ping it off the limiter.

14. Covenant

Covenant Member

...because 0-60 times bear little relation to real-world driving?

The 6MT is designed more around fast point-to-point driving rather than "beat the chav off the lights" driving.

15. benw123

benw123 Moderator

The book 0-60mph time for the new S3 is 5.7 seconds, and so I would also expect it to still be in second gear as that's a very impressive time.

16. jamiekip

jamiekip Guest

That's a very good point actually!
    Though you'd think the marketing guys would try and influence getting to 60 in 2nd, as it sells a better story in the magazines etc. It would probs make for 0.5 of a second.
    Though that has no bearing on the actual day to day drive-ability.

17. s3rob

s3rob New Member

That's almost certainly what's happened. The old S3 and R32 didn't hit 60 in 2nd and got criticised for it and also didn't help their mag times.

The new S3 does by about 100rpm or less which is good enough for the mags GPS timing gear although you could never judge it well enough in real life for 60 in 2nd to be of any real use. Makes for an impressive time though and in fairness it is very rapid whatever gear you are in.

18. klauster

klauster Well-Known Member

mine does 60 in 2nd no bother, and i reckon the remap could have shaved .5 off easy, possibly more... standard my S3 dyno'd at over 270bhp as well