1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Few problems... Advice please.

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by jondsg, May 15, 2013.

1. jondsg

jondsg Member

[May 15, 2013]
    Hi guys, noticed recently when starting my car in the morning, it takes 2 attempts to start over, and it idles rough for a few minutes..

secondly, anytime I stop at lights, or pull away from stop I hear a knock from the rear, could this be brake pads sticking?

Cars a 20t with 55k on clock. Are these common issues?

Any help would be great.
    P
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 27, 2014]

3. Geraldy212

Geraldy212 Sportback owner

[May 15, 2013]
    Hard to say without doing a VCDS scan and looking for any fault codes. See if you can find a member nearby with VCDS. There is a map on this site showing the locations of members with VCDS and they usually will be very helpful (have beer ready). On the knock, try coasting to a stop without using brakes, then pull away normally. If you hear a knock it may not be brakes at all. Could be a broken rear coil spring, which several members have reported. Could also be a suspension bush. Fortunately not too expensive to fix. Good luck.
  4. jondsg

jondsg Member

[May 15, 2013]
    It's a dsg so it's a bit tricky coming slowly to a stop. I'll give it a go. Someone mentioned the lambder sensor for the rough start??
    is there any other issues for 55k on a petrol turbo engine?
    Cheers
  5. OVRA3

OVRA3 Well-Known Member

[May 15, 2013]
    Pcv failing would cause rough idle, might be worth changing it for the newer version it's only 45 quid.