1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Few problems... Advice please.

jondsg May 15, 2013

1. jondsg

jondsg Member

Hi guys, noticed recently when starting my car in the morning, it takes 2 attempts to start over, and it idles rough for a few minutes..

secondly, anytime I stop at lights, or pull away from stop I hear a knock from the rear, could this be brake pads sticking?

Cars a 20t with 55k on clock. Are these common issues?

Any help would be great.
    P

2. Geraldy212

Geraldy212 Sportback owner

Hard to say without doing a VCDS scan and looking for any fault codes. See if you can find a member nearby with VCDS. There is a map on this site showing the locations of members with VCDS and they usually will be very helpful (have beer ready). On the knock, try coasting to a stop without using brakes, then pull away normally. If you hear a knock it may not be brakes at all. Could be a broken rear coil spring, which several members have reported. Could also be a suspension bush. Fortunately not too expensive to fix. Good luck.

3. jondsg

jondsg Member

It's a dsg so it's a bit tricky coming slowly to a stop. I'll give it a go. Someone mentioned the lambder sensor for the rough start??
    is there any other issues for 55k on a petrol turbo engine?
    Cheers

4. OVRA3

OVRA3 Well-Known Member

Pcv failing would cause rough idle, might be worth changing it for the newer version it's only 45 quid.