Feedback from those with S3s now

Not sure about that one, there's another thread on that isn't there?

Just been reading the brocher for one last time before collection. Noticed it says S3 logo on key in the spec? Is that right, does the key have a S3 logo on it?

Reactions: paullowther
Oh right that explains it! I only got the blue collar ami cable too, I guess I should've got a red collar one aswell?

I got both and only need blue (using a 3rd generation iPod classic for music).
If you want I'll send you my red ami pack.

Just been reading the brocher for one last time before collection. Noticed it says S3 logo on key in the spec? Is that right, does the key have a S3 logo on it?

No it doesn't. Bet you could get one though to stick on it.

That would be great mate. Do you want money for it?!

No, don't need anything for it. Happy to help you out.
Message me your name and address and I'll get it posted tomorrow/Saturday.

No S3 logo on my regular key.
Had a S5 logo on my Advanced S5 key.
Perhaps one on the Advanced S3 key?

Reactions: Silky-S3
No S3 logo on my advanced key i'm afraid...

Not very advanced is it?

Reactions: ivicker
Another mistake then!

Cheers guys

No S3 logo on my advanced key i'm afraid...

Not very advanced is it?

Same thing in Continental Europe, no s3 logo on the advanced key.

Also, no logo if you take the fancy aluminium gear knob.

B&O is, as always, well worth the money.
The lights around the front speakers I wasnt aware of (obviously didn't read the spec of the option well enough), but makes the interior much more interesting.

Pull, noise and handling is spot on. I also love Misano more now I have my hands on the car.

Steering typically Audi, but not tried dynamic as yet, which will improve it.

Standard seats aren't brilliant, but are more than adequate for what I'll use this car for. My biggest gripe is they don't go low enough, not sure the Super Sports would sort that out as I expect they'll just be fitted to the same mounts and runners. Alcantara far better IMO than full leather, holds you better and will wear better too.
My old S5 seats were Super Sports I and I didn't rate them much in that.

The wife says its quite crashy, but that comes with the territory for a car like this and isn't an issue for me.

Not bothering with a particularly strict run in period, will just make sure the engine is warm, and not stamp on the throttle for the first couple of weeks. Build up revs and work the engine, without caning it too much.
Then after a couple of weeks it will be time for hitting it into Dynamic and a quiet b road blast to properly test things out.

All in all it's a great all rounder without being brilliant at any one particular thing, and those awaiting one won't be disappointed. Perfect for a daily runner.
Expect it will excite me much more than the S5 did, but will comment fully on that after my b road blast.

Detailed Tuesday so pics thereafter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lmg and Johnnyb
picked my manual SB up 28 Oct; 2.5K miles later I'm still absolutely loving it!

We took a drive over to visit a cousin in Germany a couple of weeks ago, and it simply gobbled the miles up and was really comfortable. Nudging 150 on the autobahn a couple of times was also 'an experience'. It simply romped up there so easily with no drama at all and felt totally stable.

Only minor issue I've got is, as of a few days ago, there's an incessant squeaky rattle from the steering wheel/column; sounds like plastic/leather rubbing together very quickly and is quite high pitched. If I adjust the wheel, it goes away for a minute but then is back again. Initially it was only at low speeds, but yesterday it was doing it on the motorway too.

Suggestions welcome... I think I'll give it a good in/out up/down and a wipe with a cloth, but if it continues I suppose I'll have to get Audi to take a look.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lmg
Yep, I get that noise too.

It sounds like a slightly metallic whistle / rattle coming from the centre of the front bulkhead.

I noticed it when I was driving it home from the dealer.

Like you, I hope that it's meant to be there...

I hear a strange noise when I lift off the accelerator, is this the noise you guys are referring to?

At first I thought i had a problem with my front tires, it's hard to describe this noise to be fair... like the car is driving on an uneven rough surface as you lift off the accelerator.

I think ive got a defective wheel bearing as the humming noise is getting louder.... Car is going for inspection by audi tomorrow am :(.

I hear a strange noise when I lift off the accelerator, is this the noise you guys are referring to?

At first I thought i had a problem with my front tires, it's hard to describe this noise to be fair... like the car is driving on an uneven rough surface as you lift off the accelerator.

Sorry to hear that!

No the noise me and splathead get is like a metallic turbo whistling sound when accelerating in lower revs, then disappears after about 3K revs, prob the intake or turbo is my guess..

Let me know how you get on

I remembered a problem I had when driving back from London on Sunday! The full beam assist on the LED headlights isn't the cleverest.

Sometimes it remembers to flick off when oncoming cars are getting close, other times I get a face full of high beam from an angry driver passing me after the S3 has attempted to burn their retinas out... I've actually turned this off now but perhaps it might get better in future software updates.

Reactions: paullowther
I remembered a problem I had when driving back from London on Sunday! The full beam assist on the LED headlights isn't the cleverest.

Sometimes it remembers to flick off when oncoming cars are getting close, other times I get a face full of high beam from an angry driver passing me after the S3 has attempted to burn their retinas out... I've actually turned this off now but perhaps it might get better in future software updates.

Other than that how do you like the LED's?

Was this on the motorway? Trouble is that the camera might not see the lights of oncoming cars but the headlights are in a position to be able to dazzle them still... I find the same with the VRH sometimes. It's also not brilliant at seeing the tail lights of cars ahead of you either.

Sorry to hear that!

No the noise me and splathead get is like a metallic turbo whistling sound when accelerating in lower revs, then disappears after about 3K revs, prob the intake or turbo is my guess..

Let me know how you get on

thanks, I'll let you know what they find out.

Was this on the motorway? Trouble is that the camera might not see the lights of oncoming cars but the headlights are in a position to be able to dazzle them still... I find the same with the VRH sometimes. It's also not brilliant at seeing the tail lights of cars ahead of you either.

No was on a twisty a road so I don't really understand it :/ The tail lights can be hit and miss for me too. I also found that main beam wouldn't always turn on/off at first pull of the lever with high beam assist in so just easier to leave it off.

Other than that how do you like the LED's?

I've never had Xenons before so the difference between good 'ol halogens and the Audi's LEDs is massive and very impressive. That said, I read a lot of comments about the LEDs on here and I admit I was expecting them to provide an experience akin to driving in my own personal ray of daylight. They do look super cool though which is easily enough of a reason to spec them.

Reactions: the_lecht_rocks and paullowther
Just came back from Audi, a mechanic drove my car with me and agreed this was due to bad wheel bearings on the front right side. Maybe a defect from the factory. So, if u hear like a vaccum cleaner noise when driving around 60kph+ then it's wheel bearings. It's obviously covered by my guarantee.

They've ordered the part and will replace it. Thank god for that :).

Reactions: Lmg
Good to know!

And my guess is - 2 new S3's with the same noise noticed from day 1 = meant to be there

Coming from the 8P i keep having to remind myself that this is a completely new engine and turbo, and these noises are just part of it...

I'm pretty certain it's the sound of the turbo spooling up, your description if the metallic whistle is spot on, sounds like someone playing a pan pipe in the distance!

I drive a Focus RS at the moment (S3 8V ordered, week 4 build) and I get the same whisling noise at low revs just as the turbo starts to spool. I think It may becuase its a larger turbo, hence why you hear it in the 8V and not the 8P. Perfectly normal Id say.

Reactions: Johnnyb
Smaller turbo's that have a rpm of 250,000 are the norm in modern petrol and diesel engines now to reduce the lag. There are usually twin scroll vanes as well

Reactions: PilotAudi and Johnnyb
Now that I am pushing on a little, I've noticed a tendency for the car to understeer, coupled with the lack of steering precision is somewhat disappointing. I also think the brakes could be better, although they might ease themselves in after a few more miles. Other than that it's comfortable (now that I have the seating position sorted), accelerates well, sounds great and looks great. Just doesn't appear to take well with turning too hard which is a real shame........... better than the S5 was, but appears it's another Audi that's lacking in that department.

Reactions: Marky142 and the_lecht_rocks
Now that I am pushing on a little, I've noticed a tendency for the car to understeer, coupled with the lack of steering precision is somewhat disappointing. I also think the brakes could be better, although they might ease themselves in after a few more miles. Other than that it's comfortable (now that I have the seating position sorted), accelerates well, sounds great and looks great. Just doesn't appear to take well with turning too hard which is a real shame........... better than the S5 was, but appears it's another Audi that's lacking in that department.
Bit dissapointed to hear that.... Is it that bad?

I couldn't agree more. It is absolutely woeful and is in desperate need of the Quaife diff and this HFA MOD to resolve the understeer. The steering is as though the rack is made of wood.Just as well it's comfy, refined and useful with its rails !

Reactions: Marky142
Bit dissapointed to hear that.... Is it that bad?
It's not great if I'm honest. If I'm correct the Quattro system in the S3 sends most of the power to the front wheels and "sorts" out any grip related issue by sending a little to the rear. It needs to be a lot more balanced to make it drive like it should. In perfectly dry conditions it will probably be unnoticeable to most, but pushing on this time of year with greasy, dirty roads it's instantly recognisable. A front diff would definitely help TLR, but I ain't going to go to that level of modification, nor am I sure how the Quattro system would take to it. I'm generally happy with the car though, this is a practical 5 door hatch which is blistering performance wise (until you throw some difficult corners at it), is economic to run (getting around 27mpg average which I am happy with), looks good, has good kit and will adequately handle the family car duties I had in mind for it when I bought it.

Reactions: Marky142, VeeDubDan and PilotAudi
Apologies for post structure, despite changing it into a structure that looks okay when I type it! it places it back in one paragraph all the time. Perhaps a technical issue........

Reactions: Johnnyb
I would agree with all the comments. The steering/feel (or lack of) is not great, and the understeer is pretty noticeable on the slippy/greasy roads. Mine seems a little slow to transfer the drive and so wheelspins a little more than I would have expected. I have got my winter tyres on though and weirdly for Scotland it's almost tropical at the moment so perhaps that is not helping..Other than that, car looks good, cruises fine, makes a nice noise, and the dogs like it.

Unfortunately a lack of feel and feedback from the steering is a trait of it being electrically assisted, not hydraulic. Quite a number of cars that have this system suffer from a similar side effect...

Frankly peoples expectations of the Audi S3 / Golf R in my mind are way to high , the S3 was never designed as a out and out sporstcar nor a track oriented car but a fast everyday all round street car .The fact is most people wont even go anywhere near the limits of this car , so the negative points that have been raised wont effect most everyday type driving

Reactions: Lmg, geefunk1978, Johnnyb and 3 others
Frankly peoples expectations of the Audi S3 / Golf R in my mind are way to high , the S3 was never designed as a out and out sporstcar nor a track oriented car but a fast everyday all round street car .The fact is most people wont even go anywhere near the limits of this car , so the negative points that have been raised wont effect most everyday type driving
I'd agree with you on a standard A3, but this is the S3 we are talking about. When Renault in the Renaultsport Megane can be so much better at cornering and traction whilst doing so (wholly through the front wheels too) due to using a front diff and properly set up suspension, it makes the effort put in by Audi to address this in the S model pretty disappointing. I noticed understeer on a roundabout the other day and I wasn't coming up to it with pace. It is very apparent in even every day driving with the roads as they are just now. In the dry I'm sure it will be fine, but this time of year understeer is going to be something we live with in this car without making some modifications.

Reactions: the_lecht_rocks
A few choice modifications will sort the understeer issue out. We haven't had chance to look yet as our car hasn't arrived but a front LSD sounds like a good plan on top of the planned suspension upgrades.

Reactions: RYuill, Marky142, CraigI and 1 other person
I'd agree with you on a standard A3, but this is the S3 we are talking about. When Renault in the Renaultsport Megane can be so much better at cornering and traction whilst doing so (wholly through the front wheels too) due to using a front diff and properly set up suspension, it makes the effort put in by Audi to address this in the S model pretty disappointing. I noticed understeer on a roundabout the other day and I wasn't coming up to it with pace. It is very apparent in even every day driving with the roads as they are just now. In the dry I'm sure it will be fine, but this time of year understeer is going to be something we live with in this car without making some modifications.
absolutely spot on ! of course we're oing to wring the S3's neck and drive it hard. that doesn't mean we're going to travel at 155mph everywhere, but it does mean that 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears will be fully exploited. on attempting to pin apex exits u nder full throttle, the car simply refuses to hold it's line and WILL understeer. as mentioned, renault and honda have both properly prepared FWD chassis with excellent use of differentials and quality suspension set up. it's as if Audi have simply uprated the damper rate and spring #ge and slung in a 4 pot 300hp motor and hoped that the battling middle classes wouldn't notice the fact their "halo" hatchback is fundementatally flawed. in fact, i'm talking myself out of this car before i even own it. i am SERIOISLY considering cancelling the delivery because the feedback [or lack of it LOL] is negative concerning the chassis ability. when i demo'd it, i was overwhelmed by the quality of the interior, the refinement and the ride quality and underwhelmed about the understeer and wooden steering feedback , especially in greasy damp autumn conditions. if i stick with the car, i WILL definitely fit the Quaife diff and have a look at the HFA fix too. i don't want any more power, happy with the standard output, but I do expect a fast hatch to at least offer an element of driver involvement as a ****** minimum.

Reactions: Trickz
F*** me guys, what are you expecting!!! It's an Audi S3, not a Ferrari FF! Cars are developed to suit the majority of potential buyers and your demands do not fall in line with the requirements of this target demographic.

If you want sports car handling with an Audi badge, get an R8 - that's what it is for! If you can't stretch to that then go for that Renaultsport Megane... I hear they're great if your into plastic French s***e that can go round the Nurburgring faster than any other FWD car (yawn).

Reactions: RYuill, Cainie and Johnnyb
F*** me guys, what are you expecting!!! It's an Audi S3, not a Ferrari FF! Cars are developed to suit the majority of potential buyers and your demands do not fall in line with the requirements of this target demographic.If you want sports car handling with an Audi badge, get an R8 - that's what it is for! If you can't stretch to that then go for that Renaultsport Megane... I hear they're great if your into plastic French s***e that can go round the Nurburgring faster than any other FWD car (yawn).
I think the point is that Audi haven't tried to develop the chassis, just lumped a quick motor into a A3 donor and upped the damper and spring rates.m very lazy.