Fed up of my Polo! (or nearly)

sciclunam

Reaction score
Hi all - new here!

I had (and still have but garaged) a 1967 VW Beetle. Based on the experience I had with the Beetle when time came to buy a new car I bought another VW - Polo (1995 model) 1.0 litre.

Apart from the fact that is it a low performer (but that is my fault as I bought a 1.0 ltr - though the 1.0ltr Peoguet 106 is much faster) it is currently performing much less.

This is the 4th time this happened (roughly once a year)...I take it to my VW dealers and says he cleaned the throttle valve. The symptoms are... low performance and sometimes engines stalls when idling. After cleaning it improves quite a lot.

Now, after a year, it is doing it again. Have you guys suffered from this or know what should be cleaned? I really like to do it myself this time to avoid the hassle. (I used to do things on my beetle)

Thanks

Mario

I had a similar problem with a Mk 1 Golf. After alot of trial and error (including a new carb) it was eventually traced to a filter on the fuel pick up in the petrol tank. Not sure if the Polo has one but worth a look

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I managed to locate the throttle valve. According to the local agent that was the cause the last 3 times. It's on the rear of the throttle body, were the gas cable is attached. there is supposed to be a valve...I'll try to clean it this saturday.

I used to get this on my old polo. It would cut out randomly, happened twice while i was on a national road. Had to franticly re-start it - remember as it stalled i had no breaks or power steering at 40ish mph.

I found that a good clean of the throttle body, new high power battery (if you think it needs it) & also make sure the old girl is serviced well. E.g. spark plugs, oil & air filter, fuel filter depending on mileage are changed at least once a year.

It worked with my old polo, a bit of TLC will go a long way. Good luck YOGi