Faulty temperature gauge? .... suggestions please

Anorien

Reaction score
Recently noticed that the temperature gauge on my A4 sometimes seems to have a mind of it's own ......

9 times out of 10 it works fine but occasionally will only seem to reach 70 degrees (even after a 100 mile drive) and very occasionally the needle will bounce rapidly between 50 and 90 degrees, then sometimes go to 90 degrees for a while and then back to 70.

Any suggestions as to what could cause this? loose connection, faulty gauge, knackered stat ....

Any help would be appreciated before I'm forced to take it to dealer ....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Faulty temp sender... very rare that the guage goes.. its the cheaper option try that....

Cheers .... doesn't sound too painful (i.e. expensive) :)

Mine is exactly the same! Mine can stick at 90c even when the ignition is off! Does yours? I fear that if the ignition is not on then the sender is not sending a signal and it;s the gauge!!!

same here, i've fitted a new sender and its still the same, from cold if the gauge moves a few mm to the 50 mark just by puting on the ignition then it will only go upto the 70 mark but if it don't move it works fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ohh that's not good. Looks like the new sender I'm getting may not work.. worth a try though. I'm wondering whether it's worth Audi stripping the dash down to possibley replace the gauge. Don't fancy the cost. Seems like a bad earth somewhere.

It seems odd to be the gauge as there are so many faulty temp gauge threads on all Audi sites. Annoying.

i got my sender from euro car parts, the old one was black and the new is green when i phoned gsf they said if ifs black its an audi part only and not the same as the petrol one that i think euros gave me so i'am going to try an audi sender first as a new dash with colour dis is ££££, i'll let you know how i get on

Have you got the 1.9 TDi? If so is it easy to get access to the sender? I havn't had a proper look yet and am assuming it's and the rear of the block!! My 1.8 petrol was easy to change.

yes i have the 1.9 tdi, the sender is at the back on the left behind the turbo, you can just get your hand to it but not that hard to fit , around 15min and thats with removing and refitting the top cover, i have also found that if the gauge gets stuck if i turn the engine off remove the key then restart again the gauge works fine and audi now use the green sender the same one as the petrol engine

Hi

OK, thanks for the info. I've just received the green sender this morning so will have a do at weekend. I'm a little sceptical if it's going to cure the problem. I'll wait and see.

Cheers

Hi

Started tonight in the garage.. couldn't wait. I've looked twhere you said but can't see anything obvious. I can only see something resembling a sender but it's pointing slightly upward! Am I really missing the obvious? I thought it would have to go vertically down into the block?

I'll go and have another look but if you can give me some more pointers I'd be much obliged.

Cheers

most 130ps 1.9 tdi's are engine code AWX , if so like i said take off the engine cover, standing at the front to your left is the turbo, behind that is the kat on the exhaust at about the same hight on the engine and point towards the kat is the sender in a black pipe that runs around the back of the engine

Hi

Ok cheers, I'm quite sure I know which one now. If I'm being completely dumb I will send a pic as stated in the private message.

Thanks again.

Marko

I had this trouble a while back on my 130Tdi.

The temp sensor was replaced under warranty and all seemed ok for a while.

It started playing up again a few months ago. Audi recommended a new dash (apparently you cant just change the gauge - typical huh). I got this done under warranty too , just before it ran out.
All is ok now, but the Audi dealer told me I had just managed to save 700 quid by getting it done under warranty!!!!

Barkie.

[ QUOTE ]
I had this trouble a while back on my 130Tdi.

The temp sensor was replaced under warranty and all seemed ok for a while.

It started playing up again a few months ago. Audi recommended a new dash (apparently you cant just change the gauge - typical huh). I got this done under warranty too , just before it ran out.
All is ok now, but the Audi dealer told me I had just managed to save 700 quid by getting it done under warranty!!!!

Barkie.

[/ QUOTE ]

have you got full dis and is it red or colour?

I have full DIS and it's red.

In fact, when I first got it back the DIS didnt work so I didnt have average MPG or anything. I took it back and they changed a couple of adaption channels so it's all perfect now.

i have colour dis so i'am looking way over £700, looks like audi number 3 is a lemon aswell, in 6 months its had a maf, temp sender, water pump, fuel cooler, clutch slave cylinder (clutch on its way out aswell) and all 4 lower arms , not bad for a three year old with 57k /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Blimey that's pretty bad. What concerns me most is the lower arms! Thought they had cured that one!!!! Very concerning indeed.

PeteTDI

My gauge has been fine since this thread, at least 2 months. Now it has gone wonky again. So, I replaced the temp sender and still the gauge is the same. It had been sticking at 70 or 90 even when no key in the ignition. It's slowly worked it's way down to just below 70. I think now it may be the gauge that has gone. Marvellous. I think it will have to stay gone at those prices /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Cheers
Mark