1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faulty oil temperature guage

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Ben_yo, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Ben_yo

Ben_yo Going places - just not sure where!

[Jul 18, 2006]
    Wonder if someone could help me with a problem my car has developed.

Its a 2001 A3 1.8T, the oil temperature normally sits at 90 degrees. I noticed yesterday that when i start te engine the guage moves slightly, up to 60 - 62 degrees but no further. This morning it did the same but at one point moved up to 70 and then straight back down to 60.

Somebody has said this could be low oil level, the car is booked in for an oil and filter change tomorrow. Is that the case or is it likely to be something else?

Thanks for any help!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. j4jon

j4jon Member

[Jul 18, 2006]
    The A3 doesn't have an Oil temperature sensor. Is the one you are on about the small dial on the left of the instrument cluster, if so thats water temperature. The sensor can fail which is a simple replacement, about £25 from a stealer or cheaper from Vagparts.
  4. Ben_yo

Ben_yo Going places - just not sure where!

[Jul 18, 2006]
    ah, my mistake! Yes, thats the dial i was talking about. That is what i need then i guess. Is this a common problem?
  5. j4jon

j4jon Member

[Jul 18, 2006]
    Can be, it depends on what type you have the early ones seem to fail fairly regularly, you need to make sure you get the later type, which I think is green, someone may need to confirm that though.
  6. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

[Jul 18, 2006]
    look in the FAQ (I think it's there) if not check out www.wak-tt.com and you'll find a DIY how to change it and spot what you're looking for.