Faulty oil temperature guage

Ben_yo

Going places - just not sure where!
Reaction score
Wonder if someone could help me with a problem my car has developed.

Its a 2001 A3 1.8T, the oil temperature normally sits at 90 degrees. I noticed yesterday that when i start te engine the guage moves slightly, up to 60 - 62 degrees but no further. This morning it did the same but at one point moved up to 70 and then straight back down to 60.

Somebody has said this could be low oil level, the car is booked in for an oil and filter change tomorrow. Is that the case or is it likely to be something else?

Thanks for any help!

The A3 doesn't have an Oil temperature sensor. Is the one you are on about the small dial on the left of the instrument cluster, if so thats water temperature. The sensor can fail which is a simple replacement, about £25 from a stealer or cheaper from Vagparts.

ah, my mistake! Yes, thats the dial i was talking about. That is what i need then i guess. Is this a common problem?

Can be, it depends on what type you have the early ones seem to fail fairly regularly, you need to make sure you get the later type, which I think is green, someone may need to confirm that though.