1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faulty coil packs?

deana4 Aug 4, 2012

1. deana4

deana4 New Member

Just wondering if I have a faulty coil pack on my a3. Could a faulty coil pack just make it run bad but not on 3 pots.

2. kite

kite Member VCDS Map User

Faulty coils are a recall.
    Contact your dealer to see if your car is affected.

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Faulty coil packs cause missfires... if you aren't having missfires then chances are coil packs are fine...

Define running bad?

<tuffty/>

4. deana4

deana4 New Member

Lack of power on lower revs seems to be worse when car gets warm. Sat at idle and rev it hard it seems to die and then pick up if you just rev it a little bit it's fine. So basically under more throttle it lacks power. I have had a check for split pipes but can't seem to find any. 2002 auq

5. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Ideally you need to get the car scanned for fault codes as a start... this could give clues or even the answer to your issues... I would then double check the pipes under the inlet manifold as splits are always easily spotted... get a smoke test if you can as this will show up any splits etc easily..

Is the idle a bit rough?

<tuffty/>

6. deana4

deana4 New Member

I had a scan done and get pressure drop between turbo and throttle which I would say was a leak. Tried 3 Dv,s so I know it's not that. Thermostat also needs doing.

I had a problem with it running rough on idle but it's not done that now for months.
    Im currently running with a forge split-r dv as it runs a lot better with this on, when it has the standard one on it runs really bad.