Faulty Ashtray on 1999 Audi A4 ?????

audi1.8T

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had this problem before, its the ashtray that sits under the air con controls that when you press it, it comes out then you push it in and press again and it stays in. For the last week now mine has just stayed out and audi want £85 + vat for new ashtray when it probably just needs a tiny spring or something. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did they fix it?:think:

Cheers, Phil

audi1.8T said:
Just wondering if anyone has had this problem before, its the ashtray that sits under the air con controls that when you press it, it comes out then you push it in and press again and it stays in. For the last week now mine has just stayed out and audi want £85 + vat for new ashtray when it probably just needs a tiny spring or something. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did they fix it?:think:

Cheers, Phil

Haven't had this problem so can't offer a solution am afraid, may be worth trying an Audi breaker though as £85 is a hell of a lot of money for what it is!
Have found 4Ring Spares in Doncaster good in the past.............

i think you can pull it out and see what the problem is. might be something stuck behind it thats stopping it going on the catch

I have a similar problems as when you push mine it dont move, £85 thats just mental. Defo speak to a breaker or keep your eyes out on fleabay for a breaking car.

You may have a 5p coin stuck behind it & no, you can't always see it but it will stop it from closing.
HTH
Si.

Cheers Nessy, will try that breakers:icon_thumright:

Definately nothing stuck behind it as ive already removed it from the dash to see what was wrong and there is a mechanism at the back which i can operate with my finger but it wont work on its own like somethings missing?

Cheers for the comments guys

Try cleaning it first.
But if that doesnt work I have a spare one that I am willing to sell.

Thanks macattax, is your spare the same as this one. If so how much you looking for?

The problem seems to be with this bit underneath the ashtray where there is a swivel bit to catch the ashtray and keep it in, then release but something seems to be missing cause it just goes back and forward loosely:think:

ashtray002.jpg

Sorry I hadnt noticed your question until now.
Yeah looks the same as that. Its from a 99.5 facelift A4. Basically its a leftover part from when I converted from single to double din to install the Rns-e. I needed to buy an ashtray that fitted the dbl din console.
PM me if you are still interested.

cheers macattax, i seem to have got the original one to work again after alot of fiddling with it :confused:,

Cheers for all the comments guys