Fault code 17085 - P0701 - Mechatronic issues - any ideas?

tonydata

Reaction score
Hi all,

First off, great forum, have found a ton of info on here that has saved me the odd quid or two... so thanks.

Now on to my latest problem... am having classic DSG issues on my 53 plate A3 2.0 Sport. Flashing prnds in dis, complete loss of transmission (at about 90mph on the M4 which was fun), limp mode, emission warning light on blah blah blah, you've read/heard it all on here before. Took it to a brilliant indy in Briz and they plugged it in and got the above code, which I believe is "Transm. Control Module Range/Performance"... they fully wiring tested it, found slight corrosion to multi plug to mechatronic ECU, repaired and cleaned all components, fault code cleared and I drove it back from Briz (about 100 miles) just fine, slowly but fine!

Since then it (limp mode and flashing dis plus other symptoms) has happened 3 times no emissions warning light, once more again and emission warning light back on so it's going back to a local indy tomorrow morning to get plugged in again... I'm resigned to the fact they're going to say, same fault code as before and "You need a new mechatronic ECU mate..." so that's not an issue, I'm thinking I'll get the ECU refurbed (ecutesting.com) at a slightly lower cost than buying a brand new one, only got a year of finance to pay and then it's going...

What I am wondering is though what does "Transm. Control Module Range/Performance" mean? Is this deffo 100% a knackered ECU? Is there anything else I can do?

Anyways, hoping this isn't a lost cause, I've been scouring the web to try and find any further info on this fault apart from just what the code means...

Any help/input muchly appreciated...

Last edited:
Another quick question on this one, the mechatronic is up in Nottingham hopefully being refurbed! The indy place I have taken the car to have, obviously, removed the mechatronic unit, when I picked it up to post it the chap there mentioned that they had had to drain the oil in the gearbox to remove the unit meaning that when (if) it's fixed I'll have to fork out for another 8/9l of gearbox oil? I would have thought they could have saved/collected it when they removed the unit? I was going to have a word as I only had it replaced 2 weeks ago...

The risk would be that the oil could get contaminated as a result of draining and storing it. So I would say new oil - you shouldn't need a DSG filter though as it has just been changed.

Cheers, new oil was the way forward...

An update in case anyone has the same issue and is searching... Sent the mechatronic off to Automotive ECU suppliers, they repaired it no worries, outstanding service and saved me a lot of money instead of buying a whole new unit, really fast turnaround and it is literally bolt the unit back on and off it goes, fantastic... 2 year warranty on their work too... had to the have the fly wheel changed that ate up the saving I made but all in I'm happy, the car is back, it's driving well and it didn't cost me quite as much as I thought it was going to... now I'll just wait for the porous head issue to come up!

i been searching all over and has ur ecu been fine since getting it fixed from ecutesting.com
thanks and ur post has been real help;...

Well it's time for a thread revival I think. :)

I got this fault code and was dreading the resulting costs until I seen this thread.

To the op I take it the new reworked mechatronics unit fixed your problem.

tonydata, that sounds like a brill result. Did Automotive ECU suppliers give a breakdown of what was wrong/ replaced? How much did it cost you to have the mechatonics unit repaired?

After being on their site to read the blurb..., I'd say they changed the temp sensor inside the box.

I got the dsg serviced and since then it has only jumped out of gear once so hopefully that's my problem sorted. Going to go back to the Indy and find out about getting the dsg reset. Just hope that's me sorted but no doubt I have spoke to soon.

Well I have spoken to soon been having all sorts of problems all week with the car I can drive it about 15miles then I get the dis flashing and no gears have managed to source a refurb ecu from Finland.

But on the brighter side of things I found out I need a new battery had it load tested and seemingly vag cars have a habit of throwing out faults when the battery is done.