Fault code: 16395 Bank 1 camshaft A

S

SteveSAS

Hi guys,
This seems a pretty common fault on these engines so just would like to hear others experience of it, running wise & solutions.
First time having my fault codes read just after cam belt kit fitted & this shows up. Has been cleared & didn't return straight away so I'm hoping this is an old code that hadn't been cleared before I had the car. I'm going to give car a good run over wkend & then get checked again next week.
Have had no warning lights at all & after the TIP & downpipe has been fitted the car is just so responsive & pulls smooth, hard & early right up the rev range.
I've heard this fault code can be related to cam belt being slightly out but as the car feels so alive now I would be shocked if this was the case. Maybe the previous cam belt (4yrs & 14000 miles ago) was slightly out (fitted before I owned the car) & this code was relating to that & now its timed perfectly is the reason it feels like a different car.
Fingers crossed it doesn't return so I can get it mapped in two weeks :rockwoot:

Its a faulty tensioner unit I'm afraid... the cambelt code is for incorrect correlation

<tuffty/>

hi tuffty, when you say tensioner unit where abouts is it? Read somewhere that it can be the electric solonoid thing at front of engine. As I said have not had any warning lights come up & car is driving really well & smooth so with that in mind can it be an urgent job? As I said will get car scanned again next week to see if code has reappeared. If not is it possible to be one off glitch that threw it up once?

The tensioner is at the gearbox end of the head...
20130301_131730.jpg

Entirely plausible that its a one off if its not come back but the tensioners do get a little tired over time and the VVT one from Audi is around £400 for the part alone... I have been using a GSF one which is nearly half that price and has been ok so far...

<tuffty/>

****** hell & cross fingers it doesnt come back..Didnt realise engine was like this inside, same as my porsche 968 which can chip teeth off cams & those slipper pads can become brittal & break up.
Havent noticed any rattles (does sound like sewing machine from top engine on tickover though). I renewed my oil pick up last year as well (****** sump nuts lol)

Had a similar situation. Cambelt had been changed before I owned the car, was fine for mileage but several years old. This code appeared so I had it all changed again (while crapping myself about the VVT tensioner).

That was at least six months and 5000 miles ago, and the code hasn't reappeared.

Ok Tom, glad to hear the dreaded code has stayed away :). Did you notice any difference the way the car went before new cam belt & after? Thought my car went reasonably well before but now with new cam belt kit & of course my downpipe & Badger TIP it feels like its already been remapped, so was wondering if previous belt was slightly out & through up this code & now its timed perfectly its gone.
Hope I have same good news next week as you & fault code stays away :)

It did feel like it was running better, and I came to the same kind of conclusions you did re: the old belt struggling to keep everything in time.

However, how much of the difference existed only in my head, I'm not sure :)

Fingers crossed that it doesn't come back!

Had my fault codes read again today after driving about 100 miles over weekend & they haven't come back yet so hoping they were old fault codes. Still running really well & took a video clip of mine on cold start up & can't really hear much of a rattle. I would say a very slight diesel sound just when turning key then just a quiet tappety sound after that.
Don't know how to put a video clip on here I would do lol