1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fascia adapter needed to install 1-DIN HU in 2001 S3 with Symphony

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by KneelBee, Oct 13, 2005.

1. KneelBee

KneelBee New Member

Hi,

First post, and I've tried searching the fourms for an answer but can't find one, so apologies if its' been done before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a 2001 S3 (facelift) that has the double-height Symphony 6 CD changer/tape.

I want to install a 1-DIN Alpine head unit but it seems that a fascia adapter to do this does not exist whatsover.

Does anyone know if there is one and who makes/sells them? I spoke to Autoleads and they suggested one of their FP-05-08 adapters but from speaking to the installers I use, this part is only half the height of the one I need.

Cheers,

Neil
  2. KneelBee

KneelBee New Member

Answering my own question:

I spoke to several manufacturers and two Audi dealers and it seems that such a part does not exist.

I'm having to get my installer to modify a A4 fascia adapter which is the same height as the S3, just tapers slightly wider at the top. Fingers crossed it should turn out OK - I've used them several times before and they're pretty good.

I'm just amazed and gutted that nobody, not even Audi themselves have a part. You can get one to fit the hole left by the single height Concert unit, but not if your car has had a Symphony. I bought the car second hand, before you ask /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It seems if you have a Symphony, you loose the lower tray (not the ash tray) and your heater controls are on a slightly narrower panel which moves down to the bottom, making the double height gap above to take the unit. To accomodate these changes, the actual sub-frame behind the centre console is different also, so to do a proper job, you'd have to have the structure of the console modified. Audi couldn't give me a cost for this or indeed whether they would even do it.

Just thought any facelift S3 owners with Symphony who are thinking of changing to a normal 1-DIN third party HU might want to be aware that its far from straight-forward.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
  3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yes I think everyone who's done this has got a complete new console or swapped with someone on here who wants to fit the double DIN. Audi aren't interested in such things.
  4. KneelBee

KneelBee New Member

Well, good news, the installers managed to make the A4 fascia adapter (single DIN with pocket underneath) fit and it looks pretty awesome. I'll take some pictures and post them on this thread later.

Nightmare job though. Took them about 4 hours of trying to get the HU (Alpine & iPod interface) to fit. In the end they found it was impossible to use the proper cage so the HU is held in with copious amounts of velcro!!! It is really solid and still removable (I know this because I discovered I had alternator whine so I took the car back and they had to remove the HU to fix it.) with nothing modified of the original dash structure so the Symphony can go back in if I sell the car. The A4 fascia adapter is fairly commonly available I think and is slightly wider at the top than the space in the S3 so the top edge bows slightly when the HU is out but once the HU is in place it straightens out again.

If anyone has any questions I'll try to answer them. Otherwise if your in the Midlands, I can recommend some people who could do the job for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif