FAO Byzan A4. suspension question

9 below zero

Reaction score
In a thread a few weeks ago you said you removed the rubber alloy insulator and chopped a coil off the spring, i've taken a picture of my suspension below can you show me what i should be removing and where i should be cutting?

Leave the isolator alone.

See at the top of the spring. there are three coils that are very close together.

Chop one of those coils off.

You might need to take more, but removing that coil changes the rate of the whole spring, so its hard to guess exactly how much you need to take off. Too little is better than too much!

Thats what i did on the rear of my quattro. One spring was broken right at the end so i just rounded it up to a full coil and done the same on the other side.

I removed the insulator, AND hacked a part off the spring.

IIRC the top of the spring is pig tailed so lobbing a section off there may not be an option as it will no longer locate in the top mount.

Have you a pic of one of the old springs for comparison ?

I dont think you will get away with doing the front springs. I think the last coil on both ends is smaller.

Yes it is smaller but from what I understand you need to get rid of insulator to fit a bigger spring.

hmm, i seem to recall the top of the front springs being parallel, but if they are pigtailed then its not as easy.