1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fans always on - '02 plate, 1.6 petrol

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by kaos_king, Apr 16, 2009.

1. kaos_king

kaos_king New Member

[Apr 16, 2009]
    Thought it would be the sensor on the rad, but ive changed that and they are still constantly on.

Anyone got any ideas on what i can check and where they are (e.g. relay's etc)

Also, once i changed the sensor for a new one from audi, now my temp gauge doesnt work (prob something wrong with the sensor and not related to the original problem).

Cheers for any help guys. Ben.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. Mr V

Mr V New Member

[Apr 16, 2009]
    99% sure it'll be the map controlled thermostat. The housing around the thermostat breaks and it stays open causing the fans to come on. I'd by the whole housing complete, it'll come with the coolant temp sender.
  4. kaos_king

kaos_king New Member

[Apr 17, 2009]
    Cheers Mr V, i will take a look at it. Am i right in thinking thats the one to the right of the engine between the engine block and airbox?

Afew more things have gone wrong whilst driving tonight - the temp gauge has stopped working and traction control/ESP is not working and i cant turn it on and the light on the dash is on aswel :(

Might take it garage tomorrow
  5. Mr V

Mr V New Member

[Apr 17, 2009]
    Yes, it's the one bolted to the side of the cylinder head on the gearbox side.

It could be related to the current fault. There's probably a coolant fault logged, that may have brought on the light and could be causing the gauge not to work properly. Without checking fault codes though it's only guess work.
  6. kaos_king

kaos_king New Member

[Apr 21, 2009]
    All faults were because of a loose connection to the G62 sensor (engine coolant one)