FANBELT!! HELP!!

• Thread starter imported_DeanoMorph
  • Start date
I

imported_DeanoMorph

Hi everyone. I,ve been reading this forum for a while now & its pure gold for an A4 owner.

I've picked it some great hints & tips from here, & just by searching the posts got myself out of a few jams aswell!

Luckily I've finally gathered up the sheckles & tomorrow i'm supposed to be off on the hunt for a B6.....Audi Quality! Couldnt go back now!

But...Problem!...This morning on my way to work the fan belt went on my current car. This needs sorted asap in the morning so I can get off hunting that new car...

I can source the part easily enough & I've got a mechanic lined up but I'd appreciated any help anyone could pass my way such as,...

Pitfalls, The correct belt to get, are there many different types? & does anyone have a diagram?

The diagram would be very helpful.

The car?..1997 A4 TDI 90hp 95k on the clock if anyone in Northern Ireland fancies her! lol

Thanks....Deano

You haven't mentioned if it has knackered your engine. Did it go bang?

If you've managed to get away with no damage to the valves etc then you're one lucky man. Hope it's repairable.

Good luck.

Drew.

Cheers mate.

Only the fan belt that went not the timing belt. That WOULD have been a disaster!

It happened just beside work & I was able to limp in but with no power steering! You'd need arms like Popeye to drive it!

The motors driving perfectly but if you drove it for any distance it would overheat & that could cause problems so a mate towed me home. (Oh the shame) lol

I see. Well best of luck with getting it sorted. Hunting for a new car always throws up the odd hurdle; it just makes it that much more satisfying when you finally find THE CAR!

What engine B6 are you after? The 130 TDI is a quality motor - dollops of torque but very smooth, and VERY economical.

Cheers,

Drew.

Im after a 130 TDI alright. Quality!

Considered a Beemer for about a nanosecond but for me it's gotta be Audi ever since me old fella got a new A6 as a company car a few years back now I've been hooked.

From reading these forums I know there are two types of 130, the SE & the Sport but TBH if I can pick one up with a good service record & decent mileage I'd take either. By all accounts theres not much between the two anyway.

I think around the 10k mark should get a one here.

Good choice. They drive really well; pick-up is really strong in second and third and they seem so refined for a diesel. The PD engines are fantastic. I agree with what you're saying about being fussy over the spec; you're criteria should be "Full history, Sport a bonus" rather than "Sport, full history a bonus". Either car will be packed with some nice goodies.

Let us know how you get on.

Drew.

[ QUOTE ]
DeanoMorph said:
Cheers mate.

Only the fan belt that went not the timing belt. That WOULD have been a disaster!

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same thing happen to me when i had my (cough) 106 diesel (cough). Unfortunately for me the belt snapped, jammed in the alternator siezing it, which then made the timing belt jump which ben 3 valves. DOH ! ! !

Thankfully now its gone and long forgotten (almost!)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif