1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family Matters

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by COLDSTEEL, Dec 29, 2004.

1. COLDSTEEL

COLDSTEEL Member

We are expecting our first child in July and I'm getting "the car costs 20K of course it will fit a pushchair/pram in the boot" from the wife. Is this true? Does anyone use their Sportback as the main family car and does it suffice?
  2. ahuntley

ahuntley New Member

Get roof rails then you can fit a top box . . .

My Sportback makes do for my family of 5 (2 adults 2 gangly youths and a fussy Airedale) and so far no complaints.

When my kids were younger I did have an estate to cart around all the paraphernalia but guess we have passed that stage now.
  3. gc48067

gc48067 Member

It is a bit of a myth that you need a huge car as soon as you have kids. Friends of mine have an old style 325i convertible, another set have a 330ci - you simly need to buy kit that fits in the car (buggy's etc).

I imaging something like a Sportback would be fine.

Greg
  4. The911SC

The911SC Active Member

Hmmm. not sure about the myth!.
    I have a 1 year old and on a recent trip which required taking the pushchair and overnight bags for me, my wife and the baby, my A4 was FULL. No way could I have taken the A3 and especially not a Quatrro (higher boot).
    If you travel light, then yes but youll be surprised how big pushchairs really are!..
    I did a swap and my wife uses the A4 with the Baby leaving me the A3 for running about. Any 'family' outing is done in the A4..
  5. benw123

benw123 Moderator

I think the Sportback would be ideal. It has a touch more legroom than the 3dr, and the boot is also a little larger.

I don't have any children, but recently we went on a booze cruise to France and the Sportback coped brilliantly with me, my girlfriend and her parents plus tonnes of beer. Loads of room and comfort.