Falsified Mileage and what to do?

deerhater

Reaction score
So went to have a look at an old audi TT yesterday as it was local and low mileage and today i checked its MOT history as they had very little in the way of service history (basically none) and low and behold it's mileage went from 135k to 63k. They've only had the car a year they say so this was done before hey bought it but they know about it and are trying to sell it on as 70k mileage anyway. They say they think the engine was replaced a couple years ago and so a new engine justifies new mileage and claim a mechanic friend tells them as such no matter how much you try to tell them that it's illegal to knowing sell a car with dodgy mileage without telling the buyer.

When asked about the engine change they've come back and said the mechanic said "it was worn"............
Don't know where to start with that, They claimed they didn't know the cars history when i was there yesterday and they bought it with basically no physical evidence of any work done. they didn't even know the engine was changed, didn't mention it when i was there asking about it now they are claiming to know the mechanic who did the job? do they know the previous owner? did they lie and they've owned the car the last 3 odd years and did the fudging of the mileage?

You get the picture they are lying through their teeth trying to flog a car with no known history not telling buyers about possible engine changes and its true mileage of 140k rather than 70k. what should I do about that? who do i report these people to? or at least do i tell the dvla so any new buyer can actually be told post buy what they've bought? Don't want to see these people get away with what they are doing. plate is X148JAH for any1 interested. it's an old 1999/2000 TT they are trying to sell for £2,300 (yeah right)

Trading standards and DVSA ( Driver and Vehicles Standards Authority) would probably be interested

If it's a private sale, nothing you can do about it.

If it's a trade sale, then local Trading Standards will be interested.

If it was an eBay listing, you can try reporting via eBay.

Clear case of fraudulent misrepresentation under the Misrepresentation Act 1967.

A fraudulent misrepresentation occurs when someone makes a statement that -

• they know is untrue, or,
  • they make without believing it is true, or,
  • they make recklessly
I doubt whether the DVLA would be interested as turning back the mileage is not an offence - it's misrepresenting that mileage in a sale (sale of vehicles being out of their remit).

DVLA might respond along the lines of "that is what the mot mileage records are there for - for a careful prospective buyer to check"

As said not much you can do in a private sale - the dispute being between the seller and buyer.

It never ceases to amaze me what chancers are out there, lurking in the "For Sale" ads!