1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fake S3 mirrors?

IbanezDan51 Jan 20, 2014

1. IbanezDan51

IbanezDan51 Member

Bought some supposedly original mirrors of what I thought was a reliable source on eBay and I think they are fakes?
    Anyone know how to tell for sure? They are also preface lift and were listed as post (2001).
    I thought the originals were aluminium but these have a bit if a plastic sound to them and I can't see any Audi markings?
    They are very chtome, can see my face in them like a mirror...
    The guy has spoke to me and seems genuine and said it was fine to return them. He did say only the early ones were aluminium?
    doh!

Attached Files:

2. mattyboy199

mattyboy199 Well-Known Member

i think you need to upload a few more photos its hard to tell

3. CMcKenzie

CMcKenzie It's supposed to do that..

My pre-facelift ones are abit dull, definitely not a mirror, and are solid, they shouldn't have a plasticy sound they're big old lumps of aluminium.

4. audiholic ste

audiholic ste Member

Yeah mine where solid ali . Before they got snapped off the car . Stolen for crack ?

5. Wallm0nkey

Wallm0nkey Member

Mines 2001 facelift and the mirrors aren't half as shiny as that definitely solid too!

6. kwistof

kwistof South East Events Moderator Regional Rep

Mine aren't as shiny as that (pre face-lift 2000) - but some 14 years ago they probably were close to it as there are a few parts that are like a mirror and I can see myself in quiet easily. Pretty sure there are some part numbers on them somewhere - maybe on the black plastic part underneath.

As said above though they have a metal sound and feel to them as it's a solid aluminium casing and pretty heavy beasts

7. s3mad_dude

s3mad_dude Noggies ruuuule!

Easy to tell - if they're real they're fcuking heavy!!! Also the finish is not mirror shiny it's slightly matt.

8. Rabie2412

Rabie2412 Active Member

Am not a S3 Owner but a S4 and I would think the Mirrors are just the same, I bought one last year from Audi and it's Plastic but made to look like Alloy, It's also dull not Shiney....And nae Cheap for the Cover, £230 plus Vat....

9. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona Audi S3 quattro Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

Genuine are like over twice the weight over the plastic original ones! I think these are either InPro chrome coated reps or chrome caps that go over the existing covers.

10. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

they are in pro ones. same as mine.
    if you've paid good money for genuine, get a refund.
    if not, make do.
    they look just as good, are lighter, and cheaper, and less likely to get nicked