Failed MOT (1) Headlight Range Control

aphill24

Reaction score
Hi, Quite urgent as I only have a few days to try and fix the fault myself (If Possible) or pay over £500 for the garage to fix. Not a main dealer but an independent.

I have had a print out of the diagnostic report:
AUTOMATIC VERTICAL HEADLIGHT AIM CONTROL
1 Fault Present
496 Self Levelling suspension sender front
Open circuit/short circuit to positive
It says that both headlights aim is too low
Can anybody give me some urgent advice please as to where the sender is, where I can purchase a new one (even a 2nd hand one if they are that expensive from a breaker would suffice)

Thanks

Front left or right axle, behind the wheel, it has a lever type ball joint each end of a plastic arm with a 3-4 pin connector, turn wheels so fully accessible with torch & eyes.

Could be water ingress or become unplugged.

£500, where are you as that seems steep?

Reactions: aphill24
I must add that this occurred after I have changed the headlights but not straight after if that makes any sense? would it be related? I bought the replacement lamps from a recommendation on this site but can't remember the name

I will go out and have a look now although as a regular customer I would have hoped they at least had a look if there is anything obvious.

The only problem I've had with the height sensor thing was the link was seizing and made quite a few nasty noises when I jacked the car (2000 VW Passat 4Motion) up, a new link sorted that and seems to still be working at 171/3 year sold.

Guess if you changed the headlights yourself then they could be not sitting quite as factory and aiming down .
Which could be as easy as adding some washers to its mounting to get it to sit correctly.
If you have levelling sensor fault that should show on dash lights.
And can cause your lights to be erratic and aim from high to low searching for their sensor feedback.

I had a cracked sensor casing and wire on my previous A4 that caused this problem , was caused by driving on a gravel track.
Fix was to splice a new wire in a scection and heat seal the connection to be waterproof and gaffer tape it all up. It lasted 5 years and is still holding up.

Thanks for the replies.

I have asked a friend who has a garage to give me a second opinion on a few faults as it needs a new rear shock (might as well go for a pair) a new front spring the headlight range control, he said he will check the unit/fuses/motor and if he can adjust them manually he will to get it through the mot. I was quoted £500 for a new motor :)

I need four new tyres ( never had 4 wear down at the same time before) an actuator for the fuel cap.

Engine management light is on for 5308 (P063800) Throttle Actuator Control (Bank 1) Range/Performance Sporadic

I was quoted over 2k for all the work including a service mot & diagnostic check. The garage is not ripping me off by the way it's just pure bad luck I have had all this come up at the same time so I just need to bite the bullet. Not much I can do myself really so hope I can get the work done a little cheaper with the local

I did get a quote to part ex it for a new Kuga ( I work for Ford) was offered 4k subject to the engine light fault being looked in to but I have decided I don't want to borrow 16k to get me out of this situation.

I will update the post next week and let you know how it went,

I'm sure £500 is for a new motor that drives the headlights up and down when the car is first started up.
I agree it sounds steep hence why I never had the repair done and brought the car away. The guy who is looking at it next monday will look at the obvious first, fuses/faulty connector and he will manually adjust it so the headlights stand a little higher to get through the mot. I don't tow with the car so the up/down movement is not that important to spend on a new motor.

If they are HID I think the self leveling needs to work for MOT