1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facelift of Facelift: They've now changed the dash components on me

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by ambanmba, Oct 24, 2010.

1. ambanmba

ambanmba New Member

[Oct 24, 2010]
    I recently ordered the parts needed to add the coin drawer to my 8P (I didn't like all those blanks and could use the space to store the card to get into the car park).

I was going to follow the instructions from this thread: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/77294-8p3-coin-drawer-part-number.html

Today when I went to install the card tray, I was horrified to find that my dash is different from the facelifted dashes in the photos.

I put some pics here: 8P Dash Photos

The pictures show that the whole set of buttons is a single sub-assembly and the blanks are no longer really blanks anymore. If I remove the entire sub assembly, the card tray clips in nicely, but then there is a gaping hole and nowhere to put the hazard light and ASR OFF switch. :wacko:

The car is an A3 Sportback with a build date of April 2010.

Do the blanks now form part of the structure of the sub-assembly, making it impossible to put the card tray in without some cutting? .... or have I missed something?

-ambanmba
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Oct 24, 2010]
    I'm guesing you have the new system then! As you have seen, the new facelift has changed all the buttons into one unit that gives a better alignment of the buttons. The problem with this is, there no longer seems to be a coin tray option & if retro fitting you need to choose what configuration you want as opposed to ordering the individual buttons. The pics of the new switches is handy though, thanks.
  4. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Oct 24, 2010]
    Yes this is the new MY10/11 center console buttons now, this was revised because of the 08 facelift center console buttons **** fitment, they never are straight, look very of, hence think now they have now removed the tray from new 8P's & made the buttons all one unit as such so static.

As your car was literally on the border line with the 05/10 change then yours is what I call a hybrid, you have these newer buttons but the 08 trim that surrounds them as MY10 onwards has an alum thin line at the top & the bottom of that trim now as per this pic.

[​IMG]
  5. NHN

[Oct 24, 2010]
    Ah the scots are taking over asn now huh lmfao.

Yeah still havnt chosen my spec'd buttons Ew, this being down to fact baby & etka needs reinstalling, joyyyyyyyy
  6. ambanmba

ambanmba New Member

[Oct 24, 2010]
    I can see how this will help make all the buttons straight, but they've got to stock many more types of the entire assembly to cater for all the different combinations. Can someone confirm that there is no card tray / cupholder / other storage option with the new setup? I'd rather not attack it with a Dremel.

It seems to me that with the new setup, if you add a feature, you basically have to replace all the buttons in one go - this will really increase the cost of retrofitting options while trying to keep the OEM look.

Cheers,

ambanmba
  7. sub39h

sub39h Active Member

[Oct 24, 2010]
    I think that the single alu strip looks better personally.
  8. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Oct 24, 2010]
    some of the many PR codes for your entertainment!!!!

4UE - Airbag for driver and passenger
    7X0 - Without parking distance control
    7X1 - Parking distance control
    5C0 - Without special body measurments
    5C1 - with special body measurments for added safety
    7K0 - Without tyre pressure warning
    7L3 - without Stop/Start system, without regenerative braking
    7L7 - Regenerative braking
    2H0 - Without drive select
    9P1 - Seatbelt reminder
    9P5 - Seatbelt reminder optical & accoustic
    7X5 - Parallel park assist
    2H2 - magnetic ride
  9. NHN

[Nov 13, 2010]
    ETKA is missing at least 1 option Ew & maybe more, 7K6 which is the tpms option, sending a case to audi through my dealer as MY10 shows it for the multiple switch 01-05/10 but 06/10 onwards niente, nadda, nothing, so I'm stuck atm until its found.
  10. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Nov 13, 2010]
    Good point, thats not there! Funnily, i've just been persuing ebay for newer ABS modules that support TPMS as mine doesnt. Also been looking at the R8 system that uses sensors on the valves.....
  11. NHN

[Nov 13, 2010]
    You can get the US version that uses the valve sensors, but it still only seems to work as this system does interms of notifications.

Also the connectors have changed from seperate to what seems as a larger connector 10 pin, which I guess is used for several buttons now as they're all fixed position instead of individual.
  12. jsosic

jsosic Member

[Aug 17, 2012]
    Jesus this is really tiresome... I really didn't like that buttons that looked misaligned but buying whole console... damn (my car is built in 8/2008 so first of the facelifts)

What's the approx cost of this unit, and what is the part number? I want TPMS, ESP OFF, and rear parking sensors... Or hell if i'm ordering maybe all 6 buttons just to light up nicely :D
  13. NHN

[Aug 17, 2012]
    Its not a whole console, just the strip of buttons, you need to spec the unit with the pr codes for the functions you need & then searhc etka for the one that has all these functions, its not a simple job at all as there are many to go through.
  14. veeeight

veeeight Well-Known Member

[Aug 28, 2012]
    I searched etka for the 7K6 TPMS option, and still nada. There doesn't seem to be that combination available, which leads me to think that MY2011 must be reset via the DIS?
  15. NHN

[Aug 28, 2012]
    Thats correct, the 7K6/tpms was removed from the switch bank & solely in dis on newer cars, same issue for me, so I will be doing 2 things, either upgrading to a newer abs controller that supports dis tpms or buying 1 MY12 strip & swapping some parts over with my MY10 version so has upper & lower alum trim, to paint lol, all that for a poxy strip lol, oh well better than spending it on smoking crack I guess like the lawyers in Apple vs Samsung.
  16. tcardio

tcardio Active Member

[Aug 28, 2012]
    I can tell you that a few folks have attempted this over here. Most have just given up as it's a PITA and requires a fair amount of wiring and cutting. The manifold is just plain different and that difference is huge when it comes to retrofitting. Save yourself some time and cut your loses (mostly emotional). the eff word will be used many many times
  17. NHN

[Aug 28, 2012]
    Come again, you sure you've posted in correct thread Tcardio?
  18. tcardio

tcardio Active Member

[Aug 29, 2012]
    I think so unless my beer made me miss something. I posted a little DIY inside the first posted thread in the OPS post. It took about 30 minutes on a 2009. The assembly changed over here for the 2010+ versions. 3 2010+ owners wanted to put in a card holder and the assembly is different as is the wiring. I guess what I am trying to say is that this mod is now a little more difficult and maybe the effort does not outweigh the benefit. It seems like a fair amount of work performed just to store a card and even more frustrating if you store alot of coins as the damn thing gets stuck. Just my 0.02.
  19. NHN

[Aug 29, 2012]
    Ahh gotcha, sorry we were discussing the new switches with tpms button missing.

Still little confused as to what the manifold & cutting/wiring is about mate, are you referring to the cup holder on american cars thats part of the center console next to handbrake area behind gear surround, also whats OPS etc you referring to as you've lost me.
  20. tcardio

tcardio Active Member

[Aug 30, 2012]
    I posted a DIY in Lima's 8P3 coin drawer/part number referenced above by the OP. My post is #36. On US models, no coin holder was supplied in the 2009. When the covering fascia plate was removed, a 3 button manifold was present which needed to be removed by unclipping. Next, the wiring needed to be done and then the coin holder was just pushed in until it clicked. a 2010er asked me to help in the install. After removing the fascia, the switch manifold was not a 3 button manifold on each side of the Emergency switch but a single manifold. If I recall, the switches on each side were connected to a single large pin connector instead of one pin connector to each switch. The simple thought was to replace all the switches to the old manifold and then repin each connector to each switch(not very easy but an audi tech had the wiring diagram). The problem was that the coin holder did not fit because it did not clip in correctly. So, I figured Audi also changed how the manifold connected to the DIN.
    [​IMG]

the piece circled above was not present on the 2010 DIN
    [​IMG]

As you can see by looking at Alastair's photo's his DIN seems to be a different configuration and on the 2009- there is a lot of room behind the right 3 buttons. In his picture, there seems to be something in the way and thus the cardholder cannot even fit in from the get go

Since this was not my car and I already had the coin holder my passion waned selfishly and I gave up. Now you are a way smarter mod guy then me so if anyone can figure this out, it's you. Many over here are interested in this mod so if you find a way, let us know.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  21. NHN

[Aug 30, 2012]
    There are only 2 types of dd cage listed in etka for uk market of which only 1 is really of any use tbh & these are continually used for facelift cars aswell & tbh the pics dont really help to differentiate the 2, although the part circled is what holds the trays & 3 button holders in place, so if its not on US market 2010 cars then need to know what part number the cage is over there, so can search in uk etka to see if its there & then it would show us even by part number its different for a variety of reasons.

Also, surely if the tray doesnt even push into the hole, it should be obvious of whats blocking it initially & thus you can ascertain the issue at hand, if I had both in hand then wouldnt be a problem to know differences.