1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facelift headlight LHD RHD adjustment

cha1n Feb 28, 2006

1. cha1n

cha1n Member

Hey, just fitted some facelift lights to my prefacelift A3. They fit great, and i've wired them and they are working correctly.

However i bought these lights from a german supplier from ebay, i know a few people off of this forum bought from the same supplier. Did you require adjusting them to LHD? I am going to a MOT station tonight to get them alligned, just didn't know whether or not to mention that they may be set to RHD, and inform them where the adjuster is.

One more question for anyone who bought their lights from the german ebay seller, did they come with bulbs? as mine didn't. Cheers

Ross

2. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

Hi,

There is a little lever inside which is set to LHD normally, so you need to switch it.

And no...they dont come with bulbs. Your old dipped bulbs are same as new high beams, but you ned to get some H1 dipped.

Rich

3. darnich

darnich Member

Rich,
    my car uses H7 dipped and H1 high beam (prefacelift).
    If as you say Old dipped=New high and New dipped=H1 then he simply needs to swap them
    Unless they are both (dipped and high) H1 in the facelift model

4. RichA3Turbo

prefacelift:
    Dipped - H7
    Main - H4 (combined fogs)

facelift
    Dipped - H1
    Main - H7

Rich

5. darnich

darnich Member

[ QUOTE ]
    prefacelift:
    Dipped - H7
    Main - H4 (combined fogs)
    Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

I was not aware that there was a prefacelift A3 with combined fogs,
    knew there was one on the VW Golf IV.

6. cha1n

cha1n Member

Yes the old main beam(with combined fog) was definately a H4, as that was the only bulb i replaced (with a H1 as stated).

What would be a descent replacement for these bulbs as the lighting isn't great. I've heard alot of talk about PIAAs are these expensive? I was considering retrofit xenons however the self-levelling business seems complicated.

When operating main beam it seems to be very centralised, is this normal, it seemed like my old main beam had more width on it, can the main beam spread be adjusted? I've had the dipped beam alligned at a MOT station today so they're fine now.

Another thing i was wondering for anyone retro fitting these lights was the fit, i've got slight gaps beneath the lights, between them and the bumper, the bumper is definately fitted properly, did the pre facelift lights have more height? I assume if this is the case, the only cure would be a 2001-2003 front bumper. Cheers

Ross

7. darnich

darnich Member

I am very hapy using TypeR bulbs (not from honda, TypeR is the only latin word on the box the rest is japanese or something) for both H1,H7 plus the daylights. They produce very strong white light rated at 4850K.

I will try to post some pics later on

8. darnich

darnich Member

Ok here is their box

[​IMG]

9. darnich

darnich Member

Here is a comparison with an osram cool blue(left) TypeR(right)

[​IMG]

Pic is taken with a K750i so white balance may be a bit off

10. darnich

darnich Member

Both H1 and H7 with TypeRs

[​IMG]

11. darnich

darnich Member

Did I mention that the set comes with instructions on how you can turn the red plastic box into a desktop CD holder or a car vent mobile phone holder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Really, I am serious! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

12. RichA3Turbo

hahaha lol

PIAA extreme whits are awesome for normal bulbs. i've got plasma blue spark as my main beam, but they are a little too blue for main beams. the extreme whites are great though but cost around £65...best bulbs money can buy though!

As they are LHD lights, the light pattern isnt the same as RHD, but is definitely OK. Mine passed MOT just fine and i've not had any visibility problems. U[rate the bulbs and all will be good.

Rich

13. darnich

darnich Member

Forgot to mention the price
    I paid about £12 for each pair of the TypeRs

14. fdussud

fdussud Member

RichA3Turbo mentioned that there is a switch to go from RHD to LHD on the headlight.

Is this the same case with a facelift Audi S3. Otherwise does anyone know where I need to tape my headlights inorder to drive outside of the UK?

Thanks

15. darnich

darnich Member

It is a lever that you can reach if you remove the back cover of the headlight, just pull it in the opposite direction

16. darnich

darnich Member

This image was posted by RichA3Turbo in a previous thread:

[​IMG]

17. darnich

darnich Member

and these two pics were posted before by HTC:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. fdussud

fdussud Member

Thanks alot, saves me from putting on those stupid stickers that never seem to come off very well.

19. Mo-S3

Mo-S3 Member

if anyone wants any sort of PIAA lamps/ bulbs/wipers etc let me know.

20. silver75

silver75 Big Ron

[ QUOTE ]
    if anyone wants any sort of PIAA lamps/ bulbs/wipers etc let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much can you do Xtreme Whites H7? er.. how do you send pm's on here

21. Mo-S3

Mo-S3 Member

Its my friend who is an authorised PIAA dealer. Give him a ring or have a look on through his website pri racing hes a great guy and very helpful.

His phone number is 0161 718 6721.

22. ultramodz

ultramodz 06 A4 2.0T FSi S-Line SE

erm... the set i got from an ebay seller don't have the adjusters?!

the seller was called eurolights4less... anyone else buy lights from them?

23. FactionOne

FactionOne Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[ QUOTE ]
    Its my friend who is an authorised PIAA dealer. Give him a ring or have a look on through his website pri racing hes a great guy and very helpful.

His phone number is 0161 718 6721.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Small world! Your mate is a big buddy of my gaffer I think... He's got a little advert on our Today Only page anyway; and you've gotta be well connected to get anything on there... I think one of the Scan Golfs has a set of wheels on it which came from him actually...

Regards,

Rob.