Facelift door differences?

Curt

Reaction score
Hi all,

Basically, I have some damge to my N/S door on my '98 A3 that was there when I bought it. So, I'm after either a replacement in the right colour or getting it repaired. Obviously the former is preffered due to cost.

I've found one on the bay.. but my question is, what are the differences between my early car and a 2001? From the picture it seems the door handle is different (no key hole and a different shape recess) are there any other differences? As if that's it then I'll put up with it as it won't be too noticeable.

Also, does anyone have any experience with pre-painted parts online? I need a bonnet and front bumper too, and can get them for £320 painted and delivered. Not sure if that's any good...

Any help much appreciated.

Curt.

What colour, there is a couple of A3's in the breakers in Bridges Pease Pottage (West Sussex) you will need a pass to go up the top yard. I know there is a 3 door in metallic or flat black, can't remember if there are any others. It's a W reg.
HTH
Steve

Cheers for that Steve, yeah I know Bridges. It's Ming Blue... There's a VW/Audi recycler in Angmering down the road, going to give them a ring tomorrow and see if I have a any luck. If not I'll give Bridges a call

Anyone else have any ideas on the door? Need to know whether to go for it or not....

i have a '99 A3 and i fitted the later 2001 doors with little hassle, you just have to line them up etc

Okay sweet, thanks. Did you swap all the internals/windows/locks etc over? I'm hoping it's all the same apart from the obvious.

Yes BUT, you have to feed your wiring through the new door and remount it where it goes. everything should fit fine just time consuming and fiddly...

However the old style locks wont fit the new style lock (i think) me and my bodyshop mate spent hours trying to remove the lock and fit it to the new handle but ended up wreaking it and i had to go to audi and get the handle ordered with my Key lock in, it cost £80 which was a pain in the grand scheme of things. but it was only 1 door the drivers with the lock so depends which door your changing !? i wanted the new style doors as i prefer the look paid £50 for 2 doors then the £80 for the lock so wasnt too bad...

Thanks for all the info mate, appreciated. It's the passenger door.

I think in that case I'll just wait for an older one to pop up! I'm not THAT bothered, it's just it came with some damage I'd rather wasn't there.

Cheers,
Curt.