1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Facebook email"

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by geo_nr1, Aug 20, 2010.

1. geo_nr1

geo_nr1 Member

Any help on this would be great!

I do not have an account with Facebook and tonight I receive an invite to join fb from a random person. The strange thing is that further down the email it said "other users you may know."

Now if this email is real how do they know that I actually know 4 of the 5 people they have suggested? Also if it's fake, how do they know that I know them? I can understand if I had some sort of virus on my pc but I know that I don't.

The other strange thing is that I know one of the suggested friends but have never had any form of dealings with this person...well atleast not on my current pc. Any thoughts how they have linked them to me?
  2. Bluemerlin

Bluemerlin It's not an A6 it's an Allroad

Are they mutual friends? Maybe with the person that invited you? Any one of the four or five may have shared their own email mailbox thus giving facebook a record of your email address.
    So yes it could be that facebook builds a profile of your name and email address and any links to those who have shared email access.
  3. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator

don't click it if you are worried, the suggestions if genuine will also show up in FB

I have had several spam messages from sites pretending to be FB so be careful
  4. geo_nr1

geo_nr1 Member

Thanks guys.

The main thing was that I am not on Facebook and received the e-mail with suggested people that I know.

They are all random people that I know (but they do not know each other)
  5. scbduke

scbduke Member

I've had similar, turns out I did know one of the people on the list and they had a virus on their PC which basically went through their email list and mailed out the hoax facebook message in an effort to spread the virus - if in doubt delete it.
  6. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

Lots of this stuff going about, I keep getting dodgy emails from people I know on Hotmail, but it's usually sent to a group of people, so I know it's spam.
  7. a3_dan

a3_dan Member

I hate facebook
  8. L1 HCS

L1 HCS Active Member

me too!
  9. jojo

I <3 Facebook! :moa:
  10. Gops

Gops 6th gear @7000rpm

It happens when your friends authorise facebook to use the contacts from their hotmail to add on facebook. It may be legit but if your not interested in facebook then just ignore it. If you decide to go on facebook.. add me! And ahaa joe, are you on facebook. Be my friend please, i want to be cool :)
  11. jojo

I'll add you when you get yourself an Audi Mr Gops. :moa: