F1 season 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave, if you were sitting in one of these, would you take your foot off the gas??

Not sure about Dave, Scottyg, but John (me/I) certainly would: the race is won with the first car/driver doing 200-miles or 2-hours and all you need to be is a nose in front of the next car/driver to win: so yes, John most certainly would take his foot off the gas and protect his bits for the next race and the Championship - no one remembers second place....

Senna used to back-off in soooo many races, way in front at mid-race distance and just in front at the end was enough.

Mansell used to try the fastest everywhere approach and often ended up breaking the car, so didn't.

And Hill just used to run into the back of Schumacher; Adelaide, Silverstone, Monza, etc...

Sorry...
:rockwoot:

Sorry, John! :boxing:The meds must be messing with my memory! Plus, I'm starting to myself as Wednesday is getting too close! At least the anesthetic will have worn off by Friday FP1. Even though I'll still be in hospital Mobdro will let me watch it on my Wee tablet! :racer::racer:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 45bvtc
I know not everyone liked the new quali, but if you run last weeks quali with this weekend in China side by side, you will still only see the likes of Mercedes Ferrari do just 1 or 2 runs in Q1, do a time they know is safe and go sit back in the garage, and same in Q2.
…and if any of the top teams are on track, we don’t get to see any of the other teams pushing hard.
Yes Q3 will see cars up to the chequered flag, but what cars… Mercedes and Ferrari maybe?
The teams that just squeezed into Q3 know that’s about where they going to be, so don’t go back out?

For me the elimination was more exciting over the full hour, not just the last five minutes of Q3

If anyone liked the 2015 quali that’s fine, each to their own
:)

But Schumacher used to run into the back of people all the time too. Coulthard in 1998.

And Alesi was the master of winning races at the slowest speed, He was well known for it.

Coulthard was being blue flagged for at least one full lap and then decided to 'lift' on the racing line, in the wet, and we've been told so many times by F1 racing drivers that 'lifting' off the throttle of an F1 car is as effective as STAMPING on the brakes in a modern Audi: having been the cause of the first lap accident - and the race stopped, I'm amazed Coulthard was allowed to restart; and after that incident amazed he was ever allowed to race again; but I was always a Schumacher fan anyway, still am...

I liked Schumacher. He was a tough out and out racer. Dirty at times, as they all can be, but fast!

I liked Schumacher. He was a tough out and out racer. Dirty at times, as they all can be, but fast!

"Dirty" is an interesting word; I'd prefer "determined" and as we all know some are more 'determined' than others, no names... :readit:

For me, Schumacher was the first to be 100% focused and whether we like him or not others have certainly followed as their fitness proves

He's also given more of his wealth to charity than any F1 driver before or since

As well as fitness Schumacher was a garage junkie and was known to be the last to leave: he also shared 'his' spoils with the engineers and kept his thoughts to himself, typically German; maybe that's why I like a certain Mr. Vettel who similarly does his thing on the race-track and keeps his other Worldy interests to himself..

Or maybe I've been following F1 for way too long...
:help:

Reactions: Scottyg and Sandra
I really like Vettel. The more you read about him or watch him the more you take to him. His sense of humour is brilliant and he's a very intelligent young man. Press conferences are superb, Rosberg doesn't know where to look or what to say when Vettel slips in a cheeky comment......all in jest. Hilarious.
However, Vettel would never stoop this low.

I really like Vettel. The more you read about him or watch him the more you take to him. His sense of humour is brilliant and he's a very intelligent young man. Press conferences are superb, Rosberg doesn't know where to look or what to say when Vettel slips in a cheeky comment......all in jest. Hilarious.
However, Vettel would never stoop this low.

Think about it: Schumacher was in trouble with a slowing car; Hill closes fast... Hill could have 'waited' until the corners had been completed and overtaken safely (as I'm sure you and I would if racing to Safeway before they closed) but the 'idiot' didn't and tried to overtake between the racing line - that Schumacher was on - and the bl**dy wall - what a D I C K! (Sorry Sandra, that 'D' word was used purely as a Technical term... :whistle2: No offence intended on a Tuesday )

But as always it's NOT, NEVER IS or WAS Hill's fault... :racer:

Try doing a similar manoeuvre later this afternoon - or when you're better, Scott - and post crashing into the lady in front telling the officer "she closed the gap"; it'll not be knock-for-knock that's for sure, it'll be more like "see you in court" and "here's a few points on yer licence" for you troubles.

Over the years we've been fortunate to watch and listen to Formula One from different vantages and to be sure our homage/favouritism for 'English' drivers ain't shared world wide

Go watch it again, both before and after the incident, and ask yourself "what would I do here; wait a corner or two and pass in the next straight, cos I'm way faster than him and he's in trouble anyway and then I'd win the race or crash into that horrible German?" and that's what Hill did, case closed...

And I don't think Hill has ever got over the realisation that he should have waited...

Like I say, bring you car at one o'clock on Sunday and the first to do 2-hours or 200-miles wins; crash on lap one and you don't - and tooooo many (still) want to win on corner one when all they need to do is win on the last one and Damon Hill should have known that...

Here's to Michael... :yes:

PS: I'm thinking we need to get together Scott and share our recuperations....
:friends:

Reactions: Scottyg
This would be a boring place if we agreed on everything. Funny thing is, I never really liked Hill. Or Dour Hill as I used to call him. No personality whatsoever.
In one sense I agree, he should have waited. On the other, I believe Michael knew his race was over, saw an opportunity to turn in and did. Could he have given Hill a wide bearth? Yes, but that's not in his nature. I do like his win at all cost mentality! Reminds me of, eh......me!!

Looking forward to Sunday. China is circuit I really like.

Reactions: Sandra and 45bvtc
This would be a boring place if we agreed on everything. Funny thing is, I never really liked Hill. Or Dour Hill as I used to call him. No personality whatsoever.
In one sense I agree, he should have waited. On the other, I believe Michael knew his race was over, saw an opportunity to turn in and did. Could he have given Hill a wide bearth? Yes, but that's not in his nature. I do like his win at all cost mentality! Reminds me of, eh......me!!

Looking forward to Sunday. China is circuit I really like.

Yeah! Right! "Reminds me of me"

We've all done it (come out now whoever you are who haven't) and have 'blocked' the guy behind in that damned Ferrari or whatever posh tool he's drivin' and made him wait; and that's what I love about an Audi RS3, it's got all of the necessary 'tools' to enable you to do exactly that, and don't say you don't or ever have 'cos I certainly do and that's why the back end of BLUEY's de-badged; sorry...:blink:

That said, these guys are professional racing drivers and I just pretend I am... :racer: But I am trying to sl o w d o w n...

Roll on Shanghai - it's certainly changed some since I was working there in 1985

Reactions: jojo, Scottyg and Ghost
How well do you think Ferrari will do this year?

…and do you think Ferrari would have a better chance if Lewis was driving for them
....hehe :rockwoot:

I think Ferrari have the best person in the driving seat to do the job, at the moment.
Put Verstappen in there or in a Merc and you may see a different beast!

Reactions: Ghost and 45bvtc
How well do you think Ferrari will do this year?

…and do you think Ferrari would have a better chance if Lewis was driving for them
....hehe :rockwoot:

To coin a phrase, Ghost; I think Ferrari will keep Mercedes honest...

And as for Lewis, erm NO! Or on second thoughts, just having a moment, erm NO!

And for why; I don't think Lewis has the skills Sebastian has to gather the team and or engineers around him and you've only to look at Lewis's history to see that - or if you don't like history go ask Fernando and or Jensen

Why even this year Mercedes have had to rearrange the 'crews' to stop the infighting and the reasoning for that were all too obvious last year

And PLEASE stop asking me such emotive questions, Ghost; I'll sure gonna be in trouble :sadlike: when RS3copilot reads my well-known-to-her replies... :friends: AND you ALREADY KNOW this....

Reactions: Sandra and Ghost
Lewis to pick up five place grid penalty for a gearbox change.

Maybe Lewis broke reverse gear when reversing illegally down the pit lane in Bahrain...

36_12_6.gif
I'm sure gonna be in trouble later when she sees this...

Reactions: Ghost
Lewis to pick up five place grid penalty for a gearbox change.

This will make it interesting with him starting 6th at best, and he’s not making the best of starts this year!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/36027731
It couldn't have been written any better this! Mercedes are sabotaging Lewis's car for Nico to get ahead, but we'll see a comeback at the second half of the season! :laugh:

Reactions: RS3copilot
You know that look when you want to stay off work for ONE more week…
..But you were declared fit to start back!!

fernando-alonso-sad-12.jpg
laugh.gif

Reactions: Sandra, RS3copilot and 45bvtc
Maybe Lewis broke reverse gear when reversing illegally down the pit lane in Bahrain...

36_12_6.gif
I'm sure gonna be in trouble later when she sees this...
Too right...
Hitting
........Bruised

Reactions: Scottyg, desertstorm, 45bvtc and 1 other person
Do Hamilton’s gearbox grid penalty now carry over to the next race? :readit:

Do Hamilton’s gearbox grid penalty now carry over to the next race? :readit:

No, I don't think so Ghost as "The Team" had decided earlier in the week and for obvious reasons - easy to overtake on the Shanghai circuit - that the penalty would be taken here, they did have a choice. That said it should be an interesting event as so many of the cars are more-equal than they were 2-seasons ago; and of course, Hamilton will NOT have Blue Flags to help him...

I've already moved my chair a good stretched-arms-length from RS3copilot's
black_eye_zps78fa1cf1.gif
but for sure we'll be up early and watching live...

No, I don't think so Ghost as "The Team" had decided earlier in the week and for obvious reasons - easy to overtake on the Shanghai circuit - that the penalty would be taken here, they did have a choice. That said it should be an interesting event as so many of the cars are more-equal than they were 2-seasons ago; and of course, Hamilton will NOT have Blue Flags to help him...

I've already moved my chair a good stretched-arms-length from RS3copilot's
black_eye_zps78fa1cf1.gif
but for sure we'll be up early and watching live...

Yes they take the grid penalty this race.
If he was on pole he'd start 6th, but now he's at the back he's not moving back any..
In previous years if you couldn't take the 5 places back, you take them to the next race?

Yes they take the grid penalty this race.
If he was on pole he'd start 6th, but now he's at the back he's not moving back any..
In previous years if you couldn't take the 5 places back, you take them to the next race?

I didn't know that! Every day learn something new, thanks Ghost, you MUST be older than I thought...
Cartoon_car_2.gif

Reactions: Sandra and Ghost
An excellent race. Good to see that power units have developed so much that chassis (whoever the drivers are) are again making a difference. Maybe Toto Wolf will offer Christian Horner a Mercedes engine now just to slow the Red Bulls down :superman:

Those Tag Heuer engines are so much better than the Renault ones Red Bull had last year :wink:
Nice to see a busy race with lots of wheel to wheel racing. Rosberg must think Christmas has come early.

Reactions: slepy, Ghost and 45bvtc
EXCELLENT race but the BEST bits for me was post race and pre-podium when Vettel and Kvyat were discussing (?) the first lap incident (Raikkonen out-brakes himself and locks-up his offside front and slides left; Vettel also outbrakes himself on seeing the smoke from Raikkonen's front offside, and slides left; and Kvyat does a blinder and overtakes both, at pace, up the inside) and Rosberg laughing at both but keeping well clear; priceless... :whistle2:

C'mon guys, it's only a race :blahblah1:

And they - Vettel (German) and Kvyat (Russian) - were arguing in 'English', that was impressive... :racer:

Last edited:
Don't you know John English is the universal language of complainers and whingers. I think he was making a point of it as the boss was at the race.

Don't you know John English is the universal language of complainers and whingers. I think he was making a point of it as the boss was at the race.

I think it was pure adrenalin, Mr. K: we've all done it... Sebastian is one of the few who post race will go study the race if only to learn and I'm confident that when he see's the actual incident he will prodding Kimi in the ribs if only to say "hey, that was your fault!" and 'lightly' apologising to Danni Kvyat: interestingly the 'banter' and 'push' and 'humour' between the two continued in the press pen - it's why we watch the before and after of a race, soooo much more to see learn...

For example; if you read Kevin Eason's report in The Times today you'll see that he praises Hamilton for the most 'overtakes' :wtf: and I suppose Hamilton did but it as they were all the guys running at the back I guess it wasn't so much of a challenge; however, to be fair to Kevin, he did make Sebastian his driver of the day (? really!) and I'll not be faulting that here on ASN...
I-Like-It.gif
Not that it matters...

The bad news is that while Audi won the 6-hours at Silverstone they were excluded due to a worn skidblock...
:bye:

Yes excellent race, think Vettel’s outburst was out of embarrassment for hitting his teammate. :yes:

Good to see that power units have developed so much that chassis (whoever the drivers are) are again making a difference.

I agree John, and Red Bulls making the most of it.
icon_thumright.gif

A five-place grid penalty for Seb after a gearbox change.

Gearbox change for Lewis, but no penalty.

Ouch!

He did get a penalty, as per the rules. Just not five places!
Mercs looked great again today. Will be interesting in Quali tomorrow. I do like the Sochi track.

No penalty because he replaced his gearbox at the previous race.

I like the Sochi track too.
I think it's going to be a good race, I hope so.

Reactions: Sandra
Did he not replace it and get bumped to the back of the grid?

The run down to turn 2 (as one is a non corner) is going to be interesting. Again, who's got the faultless start.

Lewis is having a new gearbox again for this race.
I think the rule is, when you get a new gearbox and take the penalty, you can have a new one for the next 6 races?
I know .. Crazy! :shrug:

Hamilton's gremlin's strike again. Could be an interesting drag race down to turn two tomorrow. :superman:

Reactions: slepy
I prefer a jumbled up start. Give the drivers points for qualifying and then get 'em to pull starting positions out of a hat :racer:

And when the championship is decided they should pull cars out of the hat, too :superman:

Sounds like a party I went to once... :yahoo: a long time ago... :blush:

Reactions: Ghost and desertstorm
Status
Not open for further replies.