F1 season 2014

I don't think Rosberg did outbrake himself at Monza, i think it was part of his punishment from mercedes for his actions at spa, was he told to let Louis past & it didn't work the first time.

Reactions: 45bvtc
Typhoon maybe a threat to the Japanese GP, race day may move to Saturday!! ....
umbrella-on-windy-day-smiley-emoticon.gif

Reactions: 45bvtc and desertstorm
Suits me fine if it moves to Saturday as I may be going to GTI international at Santa Pod on Sunday. Be interesting to see how waterproof the new cars are with all there fancy electronics.

Reactions: jojo
Suits me fine if it moves to Saturday as I may be going to GTI international at Santa Pod on Sunday. Be interesting to see how waterproof the new cars are with all there fancy electronics.
All these car events on F1 racedays is not ideal is it Karl?

Reactions: desertstorm
@jojo and the rest i will be watching this group closely tomorrow & sunday so please get the updates coming thick and fast.

I wont be able to watch it as im away with work and on nights so im counting on you peeps please

COME ON TEAM H!!

@jojo and the rest i will be watching this group closely tomorrow & sunday so please get the updates coming thick and fast.

I wont be able to watch it as im away with work and on nights so im counting on you peeps please

COME ON TEAM H!!

6am start is if? I may watch the rerun! Lol

Vettel to Ferrari then and Alonso to Mclaren possibly or will Raikkonen get paid off again.. If Caterham Sauber and Marussia go bump then some teams might end up running 3 cars so it looks like the music has started for the driver moves. be interesting to see here they are all sitting when it stops.

Reactions: P40ULW
Vettel to Ferrari? I seriously never saw that coming!!!!

Alonso and Raikonnen at ferrari was pretty much my dream team. I always supported ferrari and Alonso but I cant stand Vettel. Not sure who I will support from next year but it won't be ferrari if Alonso leaves. That said, I was never a big fan of mclaren either and not planning to change that. I wonder if vettel will be still getting booos at ferrari.

Reactions: P40ULW
I am up, looking like it's going to be most of the race behind the safety car. Even after it gets going it won't be long before somebody bins it. They couldn't even keep it on the track.
won't be watching all the race as decided to go to the GTI event at Santa Pod today. Fortunately the weather looks good there today.

I watched it, sad for bianchi

Also I was hoping JB would get 3rd but had electrical problems again n had to change his steering wheel

The result was what I was after, but the Bianchi incident has teen the gloss off it. Latest reports is severe head injury, surgery and intensive care! Prayers are with him!

just watched the Grand Prix being out all day I managed to avoid hearing anything about this. Looks like a really unlucky accident, probably quite similar to what Maria Villota did. I just hope he recovers OK. Massa managed to bounce back from a severe head injury that required surgery.
Karl.

Bad news for Bianchi, hope he soon bounces back.

So what happened to sky's F1 channel's coverage this afternoon, scheduled to show the re run at 1.30pm, tuned in & zippo, nothing all afternoon or evening

just watched the Grand Prix being out all day I managed to avoid hearing anything about this. Looks like a really unlucky accident, probably quite similar to what Maria Villota did. I just hope he recovers OK. Massa managed to bounce back from a severe head injury that required surgery.
Karl.

Hope it's not like Maria Villota's accident Karl, she lost one eye, and sadly took her own life! :sadlike:

Nah marussia put a pic on twitter of the car in the side of the recovery truck, looks like he's had a lot of sideways g as he's hit the truck but nothing penetrated the helmet or the carbon tub but the car is a mess, and like I said rapid deceleration sideways

@jojo I don't believe she took her own life, but died due to complications originating from the accident.

Edit: Link here.

Last edited:
With regards to Jules, my concern is that the roll hoop appeared to have been snapped and if his head made contact with the truck at 50G (no idea if that is accurate) then that's potentially a lot of damage even if there was no intrusion through the helmet. The only positive so far (if true) is that he is breathing on his own, which is a good thing so soon after surgery IMHO.

I have to say that, initially, I had assumed the same thing with regards to de Villota.

Looks like in Bianchi's case he wasn't breathing unaided which is a shame, but hopefully "just" procedure at this point. Must be hell for his parents who are having to fly halfway around the world via Paris, Dubai then Osaka with a further hour and a half transfer to the hospital.

I have just come across the video above on You Tube, The speed that he came into there looks really high, those tractors are not light and it's just picked up and moved several feet.
It's a miracle nobody else was hit as there would have been other marshalls around. You can see a marshall around the front that nearly gets squashed between the fence and the tractor.
Very difficult to see what else could be done in the future if a car goes off, they have to be removed as they present a hazard but having a huge crane like that on the track also presents a big hazzard.
Possibly they could design a vechicle that is safer for retrieval of crashed cars, they don't need to be that big and something with tracks on might be better. I am sure they have used smaller skid steer vechicles as some grand prixs.

http://www.vicon.com.au/skid-steer-loaders/skid-steer-loader-ht-75a/

Karl.

Very nasty indeed. As said you get an idea of the forces involved by the way it shunts the tractor. It's difficult but, assuming it was under double waved yellows then he was probably going too fast.

That said unless, say, everyone is restricted to 50kph through double waved yellows then the temptation will be to push your luck so that no time is lost to the guy in front or behind.

How he's not dead I'm surprised, that's not nice at all

It possible it could have had a brake failure or some mechanical failurr or an issue with the KERS harvesting. They would be able to tell a lot from the telemetry on the car. Bit like having a planes black box.

Karl.

I know it's early days and we cannot definitively say what was or wasn't a factor, but this quote from this article pretty much sums up the point I was trying to put across:

Gary Hartstein said:
I’ve been a passenger in an F1 car, and can confirm that the brakes are phenomenal. That said, given the water on the circuit, given the loading on the car through corners 6 and 7, and given the speed of that Marussia, it is indisputable that Jules carried MUCH TOO MUCH speed into that corner. By definition. He is instructed (by the flags) to slow enough to be able to stop, yet he was fast enough to aquaplane. Those are mutually exclusive options. Period.

Irrespective, I still really hope that Bianchi makes a great recovery, although the latest news isn't fantastic on that front.

THREE timed-sectors on any F1 racetrack so, car goes off and while it's being retrieved ALL drivers SLOW to the pit lane limit in THAT particular sector - and/or the previous/next sectors too. No argument, no excuses.

We all know that this can be/is done electronically so no add-on costs incurred, and it's the same for ALL drivers.

Blimey, we could even ask Charlie to just press a BIG red team/driver button...:racer: and 5-minute stop/go penalty if they don't comply...:no: or just Black flag 'em...

personally I don't really see the need for so much ground clearance on those tractors/cranes

I see Claire Williams is calling for cockpit canopies again;

May as well go LMP1, Claire. Ok, acceleration may be a tad slower but these beasties are just as fast down the straight bits, can brake later, go through corners faster, race comfortably in wet weather conditions with the driver staying dry.

And, with Ferrari wanting to go LMP1, Alonso may surprise everyone... :think: and follow Webber, Fisichella, Heidfeld, Wurz, Davidson and McNish (now retired). And Button, maybe...