External Wastegates

Its a little bit of an open question but generally speaking on the Tial gates I have used (I have an MVS myself) you need to make sure the spring rates are set right to get the right crack pressure... this can vary depending on your setup/manifold/turbo etc... I have fitted Tials that are 'siad' to be set at 1bar but have made more boost when run on the dyno so needed adjusting..

<tuffty/>

just wondered if it was a case of bolting on and away you go?

also standard u have an actuator, do u have an actuator if uve got an external wastegate? :s

many thanks

Last edited:
ive read that understand it all, doesnt say much about actuator tho
this is my wastegate + screamer pipe

i dont have much knowledge about turbos but id like to get it all right when i fit all of this

SouthKesteven-20120825-01062.jpg

Last edited:
ok thanks for the help, just wanted to make sure really that i wasnt missing anything

Just to clarify... you can't just bolt on an external wastgate to a std K04/whatever setup... external gates are for turbos that don't have a wastegate and actuator built in (such as the K03/K04 and some larger turbos like the GT28rs and GT2871r)...

For example on my turbo I used to have an internally gated hotside so had an actuator (like the K04)..
K04 internal wastgate..
20090906_CRW_3569.jpg

My previous GT3071 with an internally gated hotside..
IMG_3496.jpg

...and now as externally gated with a Tial wastegate...
IMG_20111226_184027.jpg

<tuffty/>

i did know that one lol that you cant bolt an external wastegate onto a standard ko4, was just curios about an actuator and if u need to do anything to set an external wastegate up.

Got the car coming off the road shortly to be rebuilt as soon as i can find some 1000cc injectors :drool:

got my hands on Garrett GT3582R turbo, external wastegate with screamer pipe, stainless manifold, 3" custom stainless downpipe with a full 3" decatted stainless free flow exhaust, custom 4" TIP with 3" MAF and filter

thats what i thought tbf but a guy at a local tuning shop said it was plenty big enough :s