Extended warranty costs

wab172uk

Now in an X3 M40i And a Yaris GR-Four
Reaction score
So the S3 is coming to the end of it's 3 year manufacturer warranty next month.

What have people been paying to extend their warranty? I'm tempted to keep with Audi, and it's coming in at £487 with no excess.

Are people paying less or more than that? And who else should I look at? And are they as good as Audi's own extended warranties?

Looking for full cover, not only certain bits.

I should have ticked the 5 year warranty at time of ordering, but I never plan to keep any car for more than 3 years. This is a first.

All advice welcome and appreciated.

Reactions: Ormesome
Thats about right. I paid almost exactly that for the same cover. See my post below but read it to the end. Personally I will go with Audi again in the next few months for my 4th year just for peace of mind. I wouldn't trust any of the other companies and thats not due to my own experiences, just search the net and you will see all the problems they can cause. You will probably not even save money on a. 3rd party company opposed to going through Audi.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-extended-warranty-wtf.307569/

If your car is near 3yrs old then don't forget to add the Audi Assist too. I think there is a special deal if you renew whilst your still covered. From memory I think its £149 for 2yrs full cover which is a bargain as it includes every option including EU cover. If you go direct with the AA then its 3x this price for the 2yrs.

Reactions: wab172uk
@Ormesome Do you know if that Audi Assist offer can be used with the 5yr warranty option?

I managed to get the 5yr warranty for half price. Bargain.

@Ormesome Do you know if that Audi Assist offer can be used with the 5yr warranty option?

Im not sure what you mean sorry!! I took out the extended warranty online but called up to extend the Audi Assist package. You should have Audi Assist as standard for 3yrs but the option to extend the policy by 2 more yrs is open to everyone I think. Its in the handbook that it can be extended so I guess its a standard offer. Call 0333 043 3780 and go through the options to talk to someone. They should be able to help out.

I don’t believe it is no, my warranty is 5 years and everything points to my breakdown running out after 3.

@Ormesome No problem - I probably didn't explain it very well!

@AudiNutta Thanks for that. It confirmed what I thought.

I believe when I had the reminder on one of my previous cars, it’s only £89 for the year anyway. I can vouch for it, the service is amazing. If your car gets recovered, you get a hire car within a couple of hours delivered to your door... supplied by a rental company. Then on a Saturday/Sunday when they don’t have any drivers, they paid for a taxi for me to go pick the car up from Europcar.

Reactions: DeeGee68 and Ormesome
I believe when I had the reminder on one of my previous cars, it’s only £89 for the year anyway. I can vouch for it, the service is amazing. If your car gets recovered, you get a hire car within a couple of hours delivered to your door... supplied by a rental company. Then on a Saturday/Sunday when they don’t have any drivers, they paid for a taxi for me to go pick the car up from Europcar.

Wow that is excellent service!

That's brilliant service. Well worth the money!

Wow that is excellent service!

That's brilliant service. Well worth the money!

Yes it is outstanding, really cannot fault. I can remember saying that cover was a bit steep, but I will never complain again. Had to use it with my S3 three times. The first time I got a gold Astra diesel, within a matter of days it was replaced by a brand Audi Fleet S3 that Europcar keep and distribute. The second time I got an S3 straight away. The third time I got a brand new delivery mileage Focus, but it was an EcoBoost. Trouble is, I was 19 & 20 causing an insurance nightmare but they still got me into a car. For the older customer, Insurance won’t be an issue and you will get to choose what you want basically from Europcar. The third they would not give in on Insurance after a change of policy.

The service is run by the AA, basically it’s an insurance policy keeping you on the road and these Europcar rentals aren’t cheap....
I was worried when my car first got recovered about a courtesy car because I know Audi never have any at anything less than a few weeks notice. The roadside assistance said “don’t worry, we will take care of a car for you. I will forward this on now that you need transport and you will get a call within an hour arranging what car and delivery”.

The second time the car was an hour away and no drivers were available. They called a taxi, I got a ride there expecting to pay and claim it back but no it was all paid for in advance.. didn’t have to spend a penny.

Reactions: TYb, DeeGee68, Vishal Tween and 1 other person
I believe when I had the reminder on one of my previous cars, it’s only £89 for the year anyway.

Yeah your right. I wasn't sure if I was going to keep my car for the extra 2yrs but they told me that Audi Assist is transferable so I went for it. It will add to the cars value I think if I do sell it. Extended warranty isn't transferable though so make sure you want to keep your car for the whole year if your buying it! If I remember rightly Audi Assist is 149 if you buy the 2yrs whilst still covered or 159 if its expired.

IMO a sticky should be made for the Extended Warranty and Audi Assist as most people need help with these questions quite regularly.

Yeah your right. I wasn't sure if I was going to keep my car for the extra 2yrs but they told me that Audi Assist is transferable so I went for it. It will add to the cars value I think if I do sell it. Extended warranty isn't transferable though so make sure you want to keep your car for the whole year if your buying it! If I remember rightly Audi Assist is 149 if you buy the 2yrs whilst still covered or 159 if its expired.

IMO a sticky should be made for the Extended Warranty and Audi Assist as most people need help with these questions quite regularly.

You can also pay monthly for warranty, if you aren’t sure whether you’re keeping or not.

What have people been paying to extend their warranty? I'm tempted to keep with Audi, and it's coming in at £487 with no excess.

Are people paying less or more than that? And who else should I look at? And are they as good as Audi's own extended warranties?

I should have ticked the 5 year warranty at time of ordering, but I never plan to keep any car for more than 3 years. This is a first.

Just a thought, did you get the car via a PCP? I found with mine by the time I'd bought a warranty, 4 new tyres, the big service, breakdown cover, MOT etc it was cheaper just to throw that money down as another deposit and start again with a new car!

Just a thought, did you get the car via a PCP? I found with mine by the time I'd bought a warranty, 4 new tyres, the big service, breakdown cover, MOT etc it was cheaper just to throw that money down as another deposit and start again with a new car!

No. Bought the car outright.

The only reason why I'm keeping it, is that there is nothing I fancy changing too. RS3 Saloon came very close. but the change price from mine to an RS3 came in at £25-27K. Fine is brand new model, but the all new A3 is out next year.

I'll hang onto it for another year or so, and hope something comes along that I really `want`. Otherwise, I'll just wait for the all new S3 to come out and probably get one of them.

Reactions: 4K, davc, DeeGee68 and 2 others
I'll probably do that.

Obviously you pay a small interest fee like you do with insurance, but that cost more than offsets losing even a month of warranty if you trade in.

Reactions: Ormesome and wab172uk
Obviously you pay a small interest fee like you do with insurance, but that cost more than offsets losing even a month of warranty if you trade in.

I wonder if you claim, you have to pay the 12months. For example in month 3 I claimed but then in month 6 I sold the car so I cancelled the warranty? Would be interested to know this. My warranty expires 1st April but will prob get a newer car in July so would be interested if I can cancel. Don't see any upcoming problems but would be good to know.

I wonder if you claim, you have to pay the 12months. For example in month 3 I claimed but then in month 6 I sold the car so I cancelled the warranty? Would be interested to know this. My warranty expires 1st April but will prob get a newer car in July so would be interested if I can cancel. Don't see any upcoming problems but would be good to know.

That’s one I can’t answer unfortunately, we only have this warranty active on one of our cars (2010 car) and touch wood, haven’t used it yet and we are on the second year.

I’m not sure if you can cancel the warranty and then get reimbursed for however many months you don’t use? I will try and find out the answer to your question.

I asked my Dad who manages the policy and he is almost certain you don’t have to pay the remainder of the warranty cost to enable you to claim.. but to be sure I’ve just sent an email off to Audi.

I asked my Dad who manages the policy and he is almost certain you don’t have to pay the remainder of the warranty cost to enable you to claim.. but to be sure I’ve just sent an email off to Audi.

Ah awesome thanks @AudiNutta. Defo worth knowing. I only paid out the whole year as I knew I was going to keep it but think I will go with instalments this time.

Ah awesome thanks @AudiNutta. Defo worth knowing. I only paid out the whole year as I knew I was going to keep it but think I will go with instalments this time.

No problem at all, will let you know what the response is when I get it.

I'm interested in the extended warranty. My car is now 13 months old and as I exported it out of the UK it only has a 24 months warranty. Does anyone know if one can purchase the extended warranty and still be valid abroad? I tried to buy it from the authorised dealer where I live but they do not provide that service.

I'm interested in the extended warranty. My car is now 13 months old and as I exported it out of the UK it only has a 24 months warranty. Does anyone know if one can purchase the extended warranty and still be valid abroad? I tried to buy it from the authorised dealer where I live but they do not provide that service.

If its a UK car abroad then I think its 30days cover. But if you have exported it and its now on foreign plates then I would contact your local Audi dealer and chat with him/her. I would assume its no longer a UK Audi car so you should go to your countries Audi website and see the info for that countries extended warranty policy & pricing. Didn't the warranty get exported form the UK when you imported it to your country? 1st thing I would have done is just that! There was a chap who recently took his car to Malta and got a full warranty cover over there. Not sure of his name on here though. Might be worth a search for "malta" or something along those lines.

I might be the chap who took the car in Malta :) Well the local dealer here in Malta does not sell extended warranty. They sell all cars with a 5 year warranty (basically the extended warranty is in the final price when getting a new VAG car). The car has a basic 2 year warranty on mechanical parts, 4 years on paint and 12 years on anti corrosion. The Maltese dealer asked me to contact the UK dealer from where I bought it. That is something I'll have to look into in the coming months and see if it is possible to buy an extension which can be valid in other european states.

I did a 4 year warranty on the s3, should've done 5. Anyway extended the warranty for another year, it's 5th year for £446 no excess 10 k miles. Pretty decent price, warranty direct were about £1000 and ala were about same as Audi.

Glad I got the 5 year warranty on the rs3

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk

So I did some reading of the Ts&Cs and you are correct, you do not need to pay the entire premium in full to make a claim.

However, once a claim has been paid out, you must pay the premium in full if you wish to cancel early, or you must continue to pay the monthly DD until the policy ends. I.e. if you have it for 1 month and they payout, you are liable for the remaining 11 months.

Seems fair to me, and you still get the cover for the remaining months, so its no great loss to us.

So I did some reading of the Ts&Cs and you are correct, you do not need to pay the entire premium in full to make a claim.

However, once a claim has been paid out, you must pay the premium in full if you wish to cancel early, or you must continue to pay the monthly DD until the policy ends. I.e. if you have it for 1 month and they payout, you are liable for the remaining 11 months.

Seems fair to me, and you still get the cover for the remaining months, so its no great loss to us.
This. I took out warranty on month by month basis and used it for thermostat/water pump issue along with suspension squeak after snow spell. Anyways I sold the car and had to pay off the remaining months to a total of 12 months. Also not sure if audi is different to vw, but they told me the warranty is non transferable. Which means if you pay monthly but decide you want to settle the balance as I did, when you come to sell any remaining months are not transferable to new owner. Bit **** really

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Awesome thanks for clearing that up, Audi never emailed back which is really poor. I can’t be bothered to contact again to complain, just wasting more of my life!

I can understand why you are then contracted into paying the rest, that’s a good deal as it still enables people to continue with instalments and not get penalised.

Awesome thanks for clearing that up, Audi never emailed back which is really poor. I can’t be bothered to contact again to complain, just wasting more of my life!

I can understand why you are then contracted into paying the rest, that’s a good deal as it still enables people to continue with instalments and not get penalised.

No problem, hopefully it helps others with the same question.

Yes I think it's quite fair. It ensures people aren't taking it out to claim and then cancel the next month etc, whilst at the same time, ensure that the genuine customers don't get screwed over!

Mines an extra £40 for paying monthly though which seems a bit steep on a £348 extended warranty especially if you end up keeping it for the full year with no claim. Very high interest :/

Mines an extra £40 for paying monthly though which seems a bit steep on a £348 extended warranty especially if you end up keeping it for the full year with no claim. Very high interest :/

As with everything though. If you can afford to pay straight off, it always works out cheaper.

I wouldn't call £3.30 a month, or approx. 11p a day steep.

I bought my LHD S3 new in the UK with a 5 year warranty and was registered in the UK on export plates (starting XE.....), within 3 weeks it was exported to the EU and has been registered locally for the last 3 years.
The country I took mine too only has a 2year standard warranty but my 5 year is still valid. The warranty is EU wide so the UK supplied car will still be under the EU warranty that applies to the country it was supplied........if in doubt take a look at myaudi and it will confirm there the length.

I bought my LHD S3 new in the UK with a 5 year warranty and was registered in the UK on export plates (starting XE.....), within 3 weeks it was exported to the EU and has been registered locally for the last 3 years.
The country I took mine too only has a 2year standard warranty but my 5 year is still valid. The warranty is EU wide so the UK supplied car will still be under the EU warranty that applies to the country it was supplied........if in doubt take a look at myaudi and it will confirm there the length.

Doubt it would apply to @Lawrenceellul as he states he has already exported his car? I understand if the 5yrs warranty is bought when new and then exported as in your case but I guess his car is now essentially a Maltese Audi? I know when I looked at exporting my A3 to Portugal, the Audi dealership was only interested in the warranty it came with when exporting at the time, be this normal 3yrs or extended. Then he stated I could buy an extension from Audi Portugal.

As with everything though. If you can afford to pay straight off, it always works out cheaper.

I wouldn't call £3.30 a month, or approx. 11p a day steep.

It’s an interest charge of about 11.5%? Whilst the actual amount of interest may seem small, it's pretty steep to me relative to the amount you are borrowing...

I take it you can transfer the warranty if you buy it outright? In which case it will carry a value that can be recouped at sale.

For instance you take it out monthly and decide to sell on month 6, it would have cost you £192 based on those figures (assuming of course you don't claim during that time). That makes it £156 more expensive than if you bought it outright. Could you add £156 to the sale price, or would the car be easier to sell given it has 6month warranty...? Guess it would be hard to quantify, but I would think it would.

It’s an interest charge of about 11.5%? Whilst the actual amount of interest may seem small, it's pretty steep to me relative to the amount you are borrowing...

I take it you can transfer the warranty if you buy it outright? In which case it will carry a value that can be recouped at sale.

For instance you take it out monthly and decide to sell on month 6, it would have cost you £192 based on those figures (assuming of course you don't claim during that time). That makes it £156 more expensive than if you bought it outright. Could you add £156 to the sale price, or would the car be easier to sell given it has 6month warranty...? Guess it would be hard to quantify, but I would think it would.

No transfers whatsoever mate! Only Audi Assist is tranferable. I checked this with Audi whilst on the phone and they referred me to the T&C's which it is actually in there! I think on the last page of the booklet? ill see if I can find it and take a screenshot.

Interesting to see if the 5yr warranty when bought new is transferable or not?

Audi Document attached here:

Screen Shot 2018 02 28 at 130231

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEskimo
No transfers whatsoever mate! Only Audi Assist is tranferable. I checked this with Audi whilst on the phone and they referred me to the T&C's which it is actually in there! I think on the last page of the booklet? ill see if I can find it and take a screenshot.

Interesting to see if the 5yr warranty when bought new is transferable or not?

Audi Document attached here:

View attachment 149642

Wow...that is pants!

In which case ignore my comment above!

Yea you would assume the 5yr warranty from new is transferable (it's often listed as a 'optional extra' on Audi's used inventory), but I assumed this extended warranty would be as well, so probably best not to assume...!!

Guys! 1 more bit of advice! wait for the renewal of the warranty to come through. When this thread started, I started to look for quotes again but prices were around 520 for the year. I just got the renewal a few minutes ago, pressed the link and my 4th year quote is 348 for all component cover, £0 excess and 15k miles. CHEAPER than last year by £89.36 :icon thumright:

THIS YEAR:

Screen Shot 2018 03 02 at 075346

LAST YEAR:

Screen Shot 2018 03 02 at 081228

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimbo10 and jungle650
Guys! 1 more bit of advice! wait for the renewal of the warranty to come through. When this thread started, I started to look for quotes again but prices were around 520 for the year. I just got the renewal a few minutes ago, pressed the link and my 4th year quote is 348 for all component cover, £0 excess and 15k miles. CHEAPER than last year by £89.36 :icon thumright:

THIS YEAR:

View attachment 149823

LAST YEAR:

View attachment 149824

Very nice!

Did you use the warranty at all last year?

Just wondered if they have applied a sort of no claims bonus to it, as I can't understand why it would get cheaper as the car got older lol!

Very nice!

Did you use the warranty at all last year?

Just wondered if they have applied a sort of no claims bonus to it, as I can't understand why it would get cheaper as the car got older lol!

No I didn't use it at all, but I see your point. Actually just checked the renewal email more in depth and noticed this part of info in the photos below. Seems that there is a reduced premium for 30days from end of cover and then it increases, which I guess is why I was getting quotes of around £100 higher.

Screen Shot 2018 03 02 at 093303

Screen Shot 2018 03 02 at 093428