Exposed grate damage

Candell

Reaction score
The other day my wife drove into an exposed grate in my car. It cut the wheel in several places and took a chunk out of the alloy.

I've put the spacesaver on and driving feels ok, but on braking it is very juddery. I've never driven with a spacesaver before but I assume that wouldn;t cause the braking issue.

Do you think something has broken?

By the way, has anyone any experience in claiming from the council for this sort of thing? A new tyre and alloy is coming in at almost £600.

That's a not good thing to happen to anyone, my insurers have just allowed me to make a claim on any one pothole damage per year without it affecting my no-clams bonus. I would have thought that any claim against the council for the drain damage has just as much chance of success as a claim for pothole damage would have.

I claimed from the council once make sure to take photos as they repaired quickly after telling them luckily I had all the photos they paid out

I wasn't successful in claiming from the council, they stated they fixed it within the 20 working days allowed (for a minor road) from being reported. To claim you have to prove they were negligent and didn't meet this target, or that they didn't inspect it regularly.

With the space saver on I suspect the ABS will be quite unhappy as the level of grip will be totally different.

You will probably find it back to normal with a full sized wheel.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Aha thanks, it does seem to feel like on/off/on/off.

Regarding the claim, I phoned the council yesterday, they took 50 minutes to answer and said that they have a huge backlog with the poor weather taking its toll on the roads. You could see the road wearing around the grate that would have happened over time, hopefully the claim is successful.