1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

expansion tank boiling after use

ANDYMC_TQS Aug 25, 2011

1. ANDYMC_TQS

ANDYMC_TQS Member

hi iv searched for hours to find a similar prolem but havent found one yet.
    basically whenever i use my car it drives fine at the temp guage sits nice and steady at 90 as it should and never passes that but when i turn the car off i can hear the water in the expansion tank boiling like a kettle and its obviously very hot there too. i checked the thermostat and that is working perfectly so not the problem,
    i checked the water pump and although it was in perfectly good order i changed it to a new one with a metal impellar.
    i also checked the rad and big hoses for blocks by running a hose through thm but good flow.
    i did find a load of browm sludge in the expansion tank so cleaned that thoroughly

but once i re-assembled the car the promblem still remains
    does anyone have any ideas they would be greatly apreciated
    andy

2. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

Maybe a faulty seal around the expansion tank?

3. ANDYMC_TQS

ANDYMC_TQS Member

i did find half an oring in the tank actually the size of a 10p but i dont know where its come from or where the other half is

4. colicabcadam

colicabcadam Guest

change the lid of the coolant chamber, chances are it's lost its air tight seal - no pressure = lower boiling point

with an air tight system, i believe the boiling point of water / coolant is something like 125c

5. ANDYMC_TQS

ANDYMC_TQS Member

ok thank you i will give it a go

6. colicabcadam

colicabcadam Guest

they are only like £5 too

7. Smokey_clark

Smokey_clark 12th Gear

What he said..