exhaust-worth fitting?

kenny_boon

Reaction score
hi all,

im looking at modifying my car next year and im planning how much its all going to cost.

its a 190bhp quattro s-line.

im looking at a miltek cat back exhaust.

will i see any performance gains from this or do i really need a turbo back system?

thanks all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I had the cat back system fitted shortly after remap.

I then had the hi flow sports cat fitted. I can say without doubt you should go for the full system with cat. Worth every penny. Apart from having larger tailpipes I would not recommend you just do cat back. If i had known I would have doen it differently and gone for the whole lot at once.

how much was the sports cat? did you get the down pipe too?

did the sports cat etc make any difference to the noise?

Kenny, the CAT' bolts to the turbo - take a look under the bonnet. The downpipe bolts to the CAT'.

AMD A4 190ps page

You really need to get your re-map first kenny - then worry about the other bits later.

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Kenny - I have the CAT back system and it sounds much nicer and seems to pull a bit better. The CAT upgrade will help too but can be fitted at the same time as the exhaust or afterwards. The exhaust doesn't have to come off to fit the CAT - I know as I've fitted both.

The Milltek is subtle, no booming on the motorway. Would fully recommend. The only negative was it was difficult to get to fit spot on in the middle of the bumper cut outs. Got there in the end though.

I doubt it Kenny.

My golf - also 1.8T had a sports CAT fitted in a custom milltek downpipe. After a couple of years the CAT started to rattle as the element had become loose within the CAT body. I cut it open and removed the element completely - i.e. no CAT! (1992 car is exempt of CAT requirement) This didn't seem to make much difference to the exhaust noise. So I doubt changing to a sports CAT will either.

thanks mate, hopefully Platinum70 will let me know.

appreciate your info thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sports CAT doesn't make the exhaust louder, just makes the car sound a bit deeper. Like its more V8 than 1.8t 4 cylinder, which is a bonus.

As for cost have a look at AMD's website. I got a package deal so price will be as per their web page unless you can negotiate with them.

But get the remap done first as it is a much better improvement for the money.

overall with both the CAT and exhaust how does it sound compared with standard? much louder?

its not in anyway boy racer-ish?

Kenny,

I don't have the CAT but it's not even slightly boy racer-ish. It's just spot on! If you fancy a trip through to Dunfermline you welcome to have a listen.

thanks for the offer mate, next time im over that way i may give you a shout.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif