Exhaust sound, coming only from left.

u3sport

Reaction score
It is normal that loudest sound comes out only from left exhaust?
(performance exhaust in dynamic mode).

It is, seems to be be case with any owners I've asked. Bit weird but plenty loud enough!

TX.

yep, dynamic sound and firecrackers coming from left exhaust are impressive, but mainly from outside the car. For my taste, is not loud enough inside, there is too much noise filter for sporty driving and sensations are very much reduced.

With open windows and roof driving experience is much better, but too much wind noise and discomfort in that conditions.
Car sound is great, but pedestrian enjoy more than driver :angry:

Reactions: Eigdoog
You'll be asking for sound to be piped in to the cabin next ;)

TX.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and D19NL B
Yeah mines has most sound coming from the left and i also would of liked a little more sound inside but not from the speakers like some cars do. Ill just drive with my rear windows down if i wanna hear more.

I tried that too, rear windows and sunroof open. But is very unconfontable because wind noise with some speed.

Getting some thumbs up from bikers :D They must think it is a very well tuned exhaust A3

I tried that too, rear windows and sunroof open. But is very unconfontable because wind noise with some speed.

Getting some thumbs up from bikers :D They must think it is a very well tuned exhaust A3
Or maybe they know it's an RS3.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Ozmosis

Yeah 'cos biker's know nothing about cars...!

Reactions: 5pot and Snake Pliskin
I am so pleased there is no artificial sound piped into the cabin or through speakers with the rs3 .... Fake sound should be a big no no on S/RS cars.

Car is plenty loud enough for me jeeeeesus how loud do you want it ? In Dynamic it could easily get an asbo :)

Reactions: Gorillajebus, Terminator x, Ozmosis and 1 other person
Just shows how well sound proofed it is. You'd have been complaining about too much noise in the cabin it's doing me head in, the bmw m2 doesn't have this problem bla bla :expressionless::blahblah1::blahblah1:

Reactions: Gorillajebus, Terminator x and Snake Pliskin
I suspect some doubts creeping in for the M2 :flushed:

Reactions: 5pot
Well after a trip to Geneva I finally found a tunnel in Warsaw and OH MY WORD!! Dynamic, sports exhaust, windows down and.... I guarantee at 3/4 throttle in second gear the noise does not only come from one side! Awesome....

Reactions: 5pot and Snake Pliskin
Well after a trip to Geneva I finally found a tunnel in Warsaw and OH MY WORD!! Dynamic, sports exhaust, windows down and.... I guarantee at 3/4 throttle in second gear the noise does not only come from one side! Awesome....

Omg I bet that was amazing !
Starting my Rs3 up in the showroom and the sound reverberating was incredible.
A tunnel on full beans oh yeah :sunglasses:

Reactions: Ozmosis
Everyone should find a tunnel hahaha

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and 5pot
Everyone should find a tunnel hahaha
If its any help, I always use the underground car park at my local Asda. Not a tunnel I know but you got to get what you can lol

When we had our R56 JCW MINI i got banned out of there by the security for driving round with the windows down. The exhaust the on the JCW's pops & bangs like a good 'un in sport mode

When I turn up for a play in the S4 the security don't know its me, yet lol

Reactions: 45bvtc, Snake Pliskin and Ozmosis
Narrow streets are good too, although there is a problem with speed.

First gear in manual isn't very soft, and second is too fast after +4000rpm...
To get good sound and cracks but not high speed, you can play in manual with 1->2, 2->1 but movement and sensation is not fully pleasurable.

put rear seats down and sound will come easier to your ears ;)

and yes, sound in dynamic comes only from left.

Shopping centre 'covered' car park today ... Omg ... Dynamic & power = pops & bangs !!

In this environment - huge covered car park - you can imagine the amplified volume :)

It was like world war 3 had broken out lol.

Oh yeah baby it was awesome :sunglasses::sunglasses:

Audi have really given us something special and 'fun' with this car.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Ozmosis
If you post up some positives @asport it may stop some thinking you're just trolling the RS3 section!

TX.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Ozmosis and Bristle Hound
I've played with the sound of exhaust a lot since getting my car and found that the loudest and longest upshift farts are 1>2 and 2>3 when only using 1/2 or 3/4 throttle which seams odd. Also the loudest pops and bangs come after driving carefully but this is a bit hit and miss. I'd love to be able to predict the system more so I could have the sounds I want (one big bang or lots of small ones) on demand.

Went to see the Audi dealer today, just for a chin-wag as I was passing. Never seen so many sudden 'fans' appear to hear the car start up! Even the main boss came out. Lucky the engine was nice and warm so I gave it some beans and a nice pop from 1st to 2nd gear. They looked happy in the mirror hahahha

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Someone told me today the RS3 start up is much MUCH louder than an RS5 which is quite mute on start up.

I'm guessing audi think the 5 clients want a quieter 'start up' :)

The Audi guys at my dealership all loved the rs3 too ... It has lots of fans :sunglasses:

Someone told me today the RS3 start up is much MUCH louder than an RS5 which is quite mute on start up.

I'm guessing audi think the 5 clients want a quieter 'start up' :)

The Audi guys at my dealership all loved the rs3 too ... It has lots of fans :sunglasses:

RS5 has a classy rumble to it, although not in your face loud, even with the Sports exhaust.
Obviously when you get into the high revs the V8 sings gloriously.
Nothing like a V8 on song.

RS5 has a classy rumble to it, although not in your face loud, even with the Sports exhaust.

Nothing like a V8 on song, apart from a V12... ;-)

I've driven only one V12 (DB9), and the noise was underwhelming.
V8's make the best noise!

Yeah no question the RS5 makes plenty noise & great sound under acceleration & high revs especially, it was just on start up the comment referred to where the RS3 has a great bark when it starts up ... it is an event you look forward to every time you are about to turn the key :)

I love the 5-pot rumble and crackle; ok, mines an 8P with secondary catalytic converter by-pass pipes and I find it perfect for a 70-year old; doesn't half ****-off them young uns when it starts up - or they try to follow a de-badged Audi RS3... :yahoo:

Last edited:
Reactions: UV-RS3, RYes3, Terminator x and 3 others
I love the 5-pot rumble and crackle; ok, mines an 8P with secondary catalytic converter by-pass pipes and I find it perfect for a 70-year old; doesn't half ****-off them young uns when it starts up - or they try to follow... :yahoo:

If you are a petrol head, I don't think you can ever be too old to appreciate the sound our cars make.
I really am quite astonished how even just starting the engine is something to look forward to every single time :)
All my previous cars had no 'occasion' whatsoever on start up.
I can already appreciate why you love your car so much 45bvtc and for so long :sunglasses:

Reactions: Radman, Terminator x, Ozmosis and 2 others
I can already appreciate why you love your car so much 45bvtc and for so long :sunglasses:

Been in the motor industry for a long time, Snake, and a long time owner of Lotus cars: I've also maintained cars for others and written construction manuals for a certain reputable 'kit-car' manufacturer as well as running a manufacturing facility myself but this Audi RS3 still excites: 68-years of age when I was persuaded to test drive one and found myself shaking from the experience; 3-days later we owned one of the only two available here in the UK and it's a keeper... :racer:

Here at DK Engineering (22 October 2011) being let out of it's cage:

DKEngCollect202_Outofthecage_zpsdb94aa01.jpg

Not one other car I'd swap it for, period; does everything especially when the weather's not on your side...

Reactions: Terminator x, Ozmosis, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
Over on the Ford forum there is a guy who has a cosworth with around 800 BHP ish. Hits a speed of around 212 i think and he is around 70. Speed never dies from you but no matter how fast you go death will always catch you :(

My grandad who is at the young age of 84 loves his cars and has always had BMW's, He has a 320D now but really wants a go in my RS3! Always speeding along in his BMW though.

Reactions: Terminator x, Ozmosis, 45bvtc and 1 other person
I'm still looking for a TTRS roadster to replace our 2.0TT roadster but it must be DSG and no 'fixed' rear wing - though I'm willing to do something about that, no pockets in shrouds and all that... :racer:

And if you think it's just me, RS3copilot's 69-years of age now and do not try hustling her in either the TT or A2 anywhere between home and Sainsbury's or Sainsbury's and home: so many times does she get home and the groceries have left the bags they left Sainsbury's in and have been re-arranged around the boot... :sadlike:

SUZY_P1000526mod_zpskcuxx6e3.jpg

Reactions: UV-RS3, Paul-RS6, AudiNutta and 3 others
Didn't they all come with a fixed rear wing?

Didn't they all come with a fixed rear wing?

Not all, DangerS3; there were some with the 'automatic' rear wing same as we have on our 2.0 TT roadster; and most but again not all are manual, but there may be one out there somewhere: until then we'll continue to enjoy the TT we have :racer:

Not all, DangerS3; there were some with the 'automatic' rear wing same as we have on our 2.0 TT roadster; and most but again not all are manual, but there may be one out there somewhere: until then we'll continue to enjoy the TT we have :racer:

Well good luck with your hunt, they sound like they're very rare.

Reactions: 45bvtc
I dont understand this. My car does do the pop thing, but very rarely. I have tried various driving tecniques, but can not make it happen like I see (hear) on all the different youtube clips. I don't believe that you have to cycle the drive select modes back through to dynamic in each engine restart? Even when stop/start? That sounds ridiculous, you would be constantly on the drive select button. Am I wrong?

In dynamic (engine + gearbox) change down at about 3k revs, it will pop and bang like a madman :tonguewink:

The cycling thing is fact, the car will change gearbox from S to D at start-up and it can only be resolved by cycling the modes or selecting dynamic again via the MMI. No it's not a stop/start thing.

TX.

I dont understand this. My car does do the pop thing, but very rarely. I have tried various driving tecniques, but can not make it happen like I see (hear) on all the different youtube clips. I don't believe that you have to cycle the drive select modes back through to dynamic in each engine restart? Even when stop/start? That sounds ridiculous, you would be constantly on the drive select button. Am I wrong?
Yes annoyingly if you park up in dynamic then start it up and drive off again it will still have the dynamic sound but with no pops. What most owners do is change the * button on the steering wheel so it's easier to cycle through

Yes annoyingly if you park up in dynamic then start it up and drive off again it will still have the dynamic sound but with no pops. What most owners do is change the * button on the steering wheel so it's easier to cycle through
Patters, as Dtwm1 says, the trick is that:

If you start the engine in dynamic mode it will not do the pops.

then just switch to other modes and go to dynamic again.

then you will have the pops and pops :)

regards

In dynamic (engine + gearbox) change down at about 3k revs, it will pop and bang like a madman :tonguewink:

The cycling thing is fact, the car will change gearbox from S to D at start-up and it can only be resolved by cycling the modes or selecting dynamic again via the MMI. No it's not a stop/start thing.

TX.
I still dont get it. In my car, if I go to dynamic, the gearbox remains in whatever mode (S or D) it was in the last time I was in dynamic, if I put it in S, it remains in S regardless of starts and stops, get out, spin around, touch the ground, bagsy I'm right?

And if it did revert to D, why can you not get it back to S by flicking the gear nob back?