1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exhaust smell in the car

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Karcsi, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Karcsi

Karcsi Member

[Dec 4, 2005]
    Luckily, it's concerning a diesel, so not life threatening, but still wierd.

Everytime I boot it off the line, and sometimes after giving it some while on the move, I can smell exhaust fumes. Anyone else have this?

Everything sounds normal, and I do occaisonally ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) see a puff of smoke come out the back (as always been the case), and it's only when I really push it hard. So I can't imagine it's a large leak, if at all. But it is really strange that, with a car moving forward, exhaust fumes should make their way through the air vents.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 29, 2014]

3. cosmicblue

cosmicblue Member

[Dec 4, 2005]
    Probably drawing in from the back; past the tail gate seal - have you noticed how road spray is sucked onto the back window?
  4. Karcsi

Karcsi Member

[Dec 4, 2005]
    Yep, certainly have noticed that on all hatchbacks / estates. But isn't the air pressure at the back of the car less than in the car, so would't get drawn in?

I checked the engine, and can hear no leaks. So I guess that's the only possible answer - I do see the fumes get drawn up the back window rather than going straight out the back.