1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exhaust smell in the car

Karcsi Dec 4, 2005

1. Karcsi

Karcsi Member

Luckily, it's concerning a diesel, so not life threatening, but still wierd.

Everytime I boot it off the line, and sometimes after giving it some while on the move, I can smell exhaust fumes. Anyone else have this?

Everything sounds normal, and I do occaisonally ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) see a puff of smoke come out the back (as always been the case), and it's only when I really push it hard. So I can't imagine it's a large leak, if at all. But it is really strange that, with a car moving forward, exhaust fumes should make their way through the air vents.

2. cosmicblue

cosmicblue Member

Probably drawing in from the back; past the tail gate seal - have you noticed how road spray is sucked onto the back window?

3. Karcsi

Karcsi Member

Yep, certainly have noticed that on all hatchbacks / estates. But isn't the air pressure at the back of the car less than in the car, so would't get drawn in?

I checked the engine, and can hear no leaks. So I guess that's the only possible answer - I do see the fumes get drawn up the back window rather than going straight out the back.