exhaust modding question

tony mc

Reaction score
now chaps,

i've got a miltek on my 140 tdi and i want a bit more grunt out of it, so the question is this,
to get said grunt would you go for the back box delete or the middle box delete ???

i'm thinking middle as if i do the back box's it may be too loud, but my buddy says back box's as it'll still be quite with the middle in ???
any thought please gents.

When I had my b6 cutting the back box off didn't really change it but then when the mid box went the bass and drone arrived lol sounded good on boost though. My 170 doesn't have A mid box just a single backbox each side so I think il be leaving it alone haha

Reactions: tony mc
Exhaust on tdi makes no difference it's big enough to flow
More fuel and air unfortantly

I have a tweeked 3.0 making 282bhp, yeh exhaust made 1.7bhp
Might make 3-4 with custom
Map

Exhaust on tdi makes no difference it's big enough to flow
More fuel and air unfortantly

I have a tweeked 3.0 making 282bhp, yeh exhaust made 1.7bhp
Might make 3-4 with custom
Map
was'nt expecting the exhaust to make anything but more noise mate, same when i got it mapped. i understand how things work on derv engines compared to petrol, just wanted a bit more noise from it

Last edited:
When I had my b6 cutting the back box off didn't really change it but then when the mid box went the bass and drone arrived lol sounded good on boost though. My 170 doesn't have A mid box just a single backbox each side so I think il be leaving it alone haha

so you happy with the sound from it james ? mine is really subtle that's why i want a bit more noise

I liked the b6 it was totally straight through no cat either, my b7 has just had a dpf delete so sounds no different really I wouldn't want it as loud as my b6 so I'm leaving it. I think the pop corn limiter made it on the b6 haha

at the moment i've got no cat and the miltek, mines none dpf so that aint a worry. it's in the exhaust shop now getting the middle box out, and i've got a hardcut limiter on it as well so we'll see what its like soon mate

well i'm back from the garage and the car now has the center box out, i'm happy with the result, my mates has got a couple of rolling vids so i'll stick the best one up later on

Reactions: martin1984 and James.c
yeh its nice, got a lovely growl to it now, me mate will be ere soon so you can hear it loaded up, hopefully lol.

sorry for the delay here you go chaps, little sound clips under load, sounds nice in the car too, not loud at all, but you can hear it when you push the pedal

Reactions: RSTHRILLER, James.c and martin1984
nice chap, and yes I deffo agree, its allways nice to push the pedal and sometimes you just have to do it more often...

think i was used to all the petrol turbo'd cars i had rob, turbo 5 cylinder 20 valvers, t5's, and t4's, they always sounded nice with the exhaust done, the audi was just too quite before it needed something, go's with the sporty estate looks now

its better than i thought it was going to be carl mate, think i was wise to go with the center box and not the back box's

Sounds good mate! I think you've just added something on my list :smirk:

Lmao, dont foget to drop the middle box out or you wont really hear it

I hope I'm not hi-jacking your thread here Tony. Not my intention but I have a similar sort of question and it seems silly to duplicate.

I have a 3.0 tdi B7 S-Line, which is factory standard at the moment.
I'm seriously considering having a s.s exhaust fitted but mainly for the durability rather than upgrading the performance... If I go ahead though, I'd like to enhance the sound of the V6 a bit but without it being too intrusive in the cabin.

So my question or questions are. which system would you advise / suggest / recommend? I'd rather renew the complete system rather than just a part of it and of course it has to be road legal.
A re-map is another consideration but only if any benefits would be worthwhile. I'm not after a track car or something I need earplugs and a baseball cap worn sideways to drive. :help:

Thanks in advance for any help on this one folks. :smile new:

I hope I'm not hi-jacking your thread here Tony. Not my intention but I have a similar sort of question and it seems silly to duplicate.

I have a 3.0 tdi B7 S-Line, which is factory standard at the moment.
I'm seriously considering having a s.s exhaust fitted but mainly for the durability rather than upgrading the performance... If I go ahead though, I'd like to enhance the sound of the V6 a bit but without it being too intrusive in the cabin.

So my question or questions are. which system would you advise / suggest / recommend? I'd rather renew the complete system rather than just a part of it and of course it has to be road legal.
A re-map is another consideration but only if any benefits would be worthwhile. I'm not after a track car or something I need earplugs and a baseball cap worn sideways to drive. :help:

Thanks in advance for any help on this one folks. :smile new:

my miltek was really quite when it was standard, had a little rumble to it but nothing mad, i couldn't hear it in the car but people outside the car said it sounded nice ? but miltek's are an expensive option, long life or power flow exhausts are probably cheaper and they'll make it to your specs, so if its to loud or quite they can add or remove boxes appropriately. try getting in touch with @Jasesapphy on here he has a 3.0 with exhaust but not sure what type it is.