1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exhaust metallic resonance/drone

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by AL_B, May 24, 2006.

1. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

All,

Since the gear-box has been put back in my car, the car now has a metallic resonance/resonating/buzzing sound on over-run...at exactly 3400rpm, as the revs fall. Car needs to be warm, and in 2nd or 3rd gear for the sound to be prominant. It also seems to be louder when cornering left, but never occurs when cornering right.

It sounds to me like its the exhaust or a heat shield or something!

I don't think it is gearbox related, as gear changes are fine, no vibrations through the gear stick.

Any ideas?

Thanks

AL

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you!
    Staff Member Moderator

Check the heatshields for the exhaust from downpipe all the way back... dont necessarily follow your ears as they can mis-guide you!

Have a look around everywhere that would have been disturbed for the 'box to come out/

Rich

4. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

Cheers Rich

Hopefully the weather will hold off for the weekend.

AL

5. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you!
    Staff Member Moderator

Don't hold your breath! Mind you, might need to if it keeps raining!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. S3_MCD

S3_MCD Member

Agree - heatshield .... happened to mine. A bit of 2"x1" is good to push and reshape it out of the way.

7. ollyste

ollyste Member

AL l have the same metallic sound on mine but at about 2400rpm.I believe its ok to to remove the heatshield and this hopefully will solve the problem.
    Does anyone know if this is correct?

8. darko

darko Member

probably best not to remove a heat shield on turbo cars as the exhausts run so hot - i had a lot of problems with one integrale before and it turned out someone had removed a heat shield, the knock on effects were a nightmare !

9. ollyste

ollyste Member

what kind of knock on effects Darko id be interested to hear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10. darko

darko Member

from memory (which is a bit hazy these days..) 2 electrical sensors expired early causing over fuelling (which was luckily caught early) a rubber oil return pipe went brittle and cracked due to being blasted by heat (the integrale turbo regularly was glowing bringht orange !) it also caused a hand brake cable to seize which was how we found the problem as we kept replacing them. there were a few other problems which, although never directly could be linked to the gaurd missing could easily have been caused by excessive heat

11. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

I didn't get round to checking the car, had to do the garden instead - shifting a ton of gravel by just buckets.

I'm sure this has been asked before...whats the best place put the axle stands?...Don't want to damage anything.

S3_MCD,

Which heat shield was it for you?

Thanks

AL