Exhaust manifolds for performance

Andyb5tdi

B5 1.9TDi AFN
Reaction score
Am I right in thinking log manifolds are cast and the then there are tubular manifolds as well? What are the pros and cons of each? Are t3/t25 etc the type of fitting between the turbo and the manifold?

Tia

Andy

Yeah originals are cast and allot of tubular are stainless steel, most people go tubular when swapping turbo's as they generally need a manifold to go with it. In my experiance stainless steel tubular manifolds are very hit and miss, I don't think allot of people on this forum run aftermarket manifolds but when I had a Starlet GT Turbo Toyosports manifolds were crap and I had one crack and another completely split at the joint and pump a load of black exhaust smoke all over my engine bay. Performance benefits are negligible really, pretty sure they're not restrictive on Audi's but I've known other car manufacturers to restrict branches to cut down power and stuff. So yeah personally I'd only swap one if I was going for a turbo that wasn't a direct fit and even then I might be tempted to get an adapter if possible. I'm sure some people will disagree with me and say normal manifolds hinder performance though.

but you can flow a cast manifold..... no it will never be as good a flow, and it will also be quieter ( yeah yeah.... but at my age I prefer QUIET to another 20bhp??? :friendly wink: