1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

exhaust drone a 2000 revs - 1.9 tdi

technics100 Feb 16, 2006

1. technics100

technics100 Member

I'm getting a drone from my exhaust from 1800 - 2000 rpm. its only there and in every gear. anyone else ever get this? At first i thought it was a loose heat sheild or similar, but now definately sounds like exhaust drone...

2. Lynas

Lynas Member

Hole somewhere, or something other than heatshield vibrating off something else?

Loose exhaust rubber somewhere?

3. clough103

clough103 Member

i hope someone can come up with a fix as mine is doing it too. tried allsorts

4. murran

murran Well-Known Member

does the exhaust shake excessivly on tickover? the flexible part of the frontpipe can start to seize up causing this and the droning your on about.....

5. clough103

clough103 Member

will check that out tomorrow and report back

6. deanski

deanski wax on, wax off

there's a couple of threads about this and I thought it was my injectors! but it now seems the sound is coming from the back. it tend to stop after the car gets very warm?

7. paul20v

paul20v Audi fanatic

What flexi part of the front pipe
    there isnt one .

8. chrisash32

chrisash32 Member

yes, this is likely to be the case. It was mentioned on my MOT and i get the same noise at the same RPM.
    To find it, look under the bonnet just behind your turbo. you will see the down pipe going to the exhaust will a flexible bit of pipe. This is the bit that is going on mine.

9. swarcup

swarcup Well-Known Member

have you changed your tyres? these can drone at certain road speeds. Just a thought

10. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

think he means the wier mesh looking bit where it comes up to the turbo mate