1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exhaust Cleaning.

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Mike_ABT_AS4, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Mike_ABT_AS4

Mike_ABT_AS4 New Member

Looking for something to clean/polish my tail pipes.

Any suggestions for products?

Cheers
  2. 1210tech

1210tech Four Ring Fanatic

Autosol from Halfrauds is pretty good stuff :icon_thumright:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. richs2891

richs2891 I cant spell !

Another vote for Autosol - told megs nxt metal polish is good as is Blackfire range of metal polish.

Richard
  4. leecs3

leecs3 thinking about stuff

Autosol but don't use wire wool like some of the pro-detailers do. Its fast for getting heavy baked on tar off but f*cks the exhaust as you can see in this post on DW. Look how matt the pipes are on a brand new BMW. Imagine if that was your new £1000 cat back system!!

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=99906
  5. Mike_ABT_AS4

Mike_ABT_AS4 New Member

6. axelfols

axelfols Member

Whats the alternative if wire wool is out? I've got seriously black baked on soot. Hard work and persistance? Please don't say yes!!!!
  7. richs2891

richs2891 I cant spell !

Yes unfortunely its just hard work and persistance. Different cloths / towels make a differance - I use old bath towels cut up as they seem to work well on the exhausts.
    If drape the cloth over both sides of the exhaust and use both hands one up pulling down one up type of motion - work wells.

Richard
  8. WX51TXR

WX51TXR Polished Bliss

Fine wire wool (grade 0000) is a great first step in some cases, so long as you follow it up with a finer polish and firm foam pad to restore gloss and remove any scouring marks - you can see clearly see some on the red Audi at the top of the thread, this idealy needs a second step with a firm foam pad and a finer polish. These pads are awesome for exhaust work when cut down into small pieces...

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/lake-country-german-ccs-pads-engine.html

...and Raceglaze's Alutech polish is also an excellent choice, offering good initial bite but breaking down well too..

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/raceglaze-alutech-metal-polish-engine.html

:icon_thumright: