1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

excursion airbox?

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by curtis11, May 9, 2004.

1. curtis11

curtis11 Member

hi m8, just wanted to know where you drilled your airbox and what kind of sound it makes, does it make any sounds as you lift off the gas? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
  2. Mutinyno9

Mutinyno9 Member

I have heard of excursion drilling his airbox, but i don't know what that means? It is allowing more air in or just making it sound better, or what.....
  3. curtis11

curtis11 Member

its just for sound m8
  4. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

I did this to my S3 and you get a nice burble from the engine and a nice pssssttt! from the DV.

I sucks in more hot air than a sealed box, but if you add a decent cold air feed it will be fine.
  5. curtis11

curtis11 Member

nice 1 m8, i shall drill the ole beaach in the morning
  6. Markey

Markey Active Member

I spoke to AMD about this so called drilling and they said unless you want to replace the air mass meter every few thousand miles then dont do it.
    A good example was that they showed me a 500bhp RS4 still using the factory air box....
    Its not really reccommended. As the ECU knows exactly how much air goes in the normal box.
  7. Mutinyno9

Mutinyno9 Member

are you saying that the RS4 needs a larger induction kit, or that the factory airbox is fine?
  8. Markey

Markey Active Member

The normal air box is great for tuning up to and maybe over 500BHP there is no need to get any induction kits etc.
  9. technics100

technics100 Member

I have drilled the bottom of my airbox, I put 6 x 20mm holes in the bottom. Nice sound from the V6, not too noisy. I can always cover them up if required..

10. curtis11

curtis11 Member

if AMD said that i would not take my car to them as it sounds like ballicks. How can it damage the maf?
    and 500 bhp out of a rs4 is not that big a deal its just a chip, probably has standard exhaust aswell but that doesnt mean thats the way it should be done, some people like noise from their car, some people like a milk float sound.
    What i am sayin is it all personal taste.
  11. Mutinyno9

Mutinyno9 Member

I agree, so will an induction kit not give you any hp over the stock drop-in filter?
  12. Markey

Markey Active Member

It would take more than a chip to get 500bhp from an RS4.
  13. Mutinyno9

Mutinyno9 Member

I fhe specs were anything like the RS6 i wouldn't doubt it. But from 280-500 is an awful lot for just a chip. In the states, a chiped RS6 goes from 450hp-520hp(93oct.), but i hoestly wouldn't know about the RS4
  14. ImolaS4

ImolaS4 Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Audi_A4_Quattro said:
    I agree, so will an induction kit not give you any hp over the stock drop-in filter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Induction kits alone do little for hp increases. Coupled with free-flowing exhausts and a chip, they will "complement" and aid in the increase of hp.
  15. justin_1ss

justin_1ss Member

most 'induction kits' add the sound that people want their car to have when accelerating its a nice sound and for under £100 if it doesnt hinder performance i cant blame anyone for buying one.
  16. ImolaS4

ImolaS4 Member

So we're just talking cosmetics (or sound) then?

OK, but it's a price to pay just so your car "sounds" better.
  17. technics100

technics100 Member

Were talking sound

I think holes in the air box mean you can cover them back up if its too noisy..

75mm induction kits can be bought on ebay for £14 buy now..

couldn't be bad for that money

18. Lowride

Lowride Member

I was bored one Sunday nite and decided to have a look at the airbox after seeing the other thread. I took it out which was fairly straight forward. you have to un-clip a couple of wires and take out about three screws, just remember where everything goes and you can`t go wrong

Once the airbox is out, take it apart, remove the filter, I gave mine a good clean at the same time. I drilled about 15 1cm holes in the bottom of the airbox. It sounds really good, you can only hear it if I want you to! Anything over 2000rpm and it comes in, a deep low down growl

I don`t see anything wrong with drilling the airbox. I decided to do it once I realised that my A4 had a decent heat shield as standard, that was the deciding factor. If you need to fill the holes back up for whatever reason you can do

Go hav a play..
  19. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

I went to a car breakers and got one for £5 and hacked that incase I did not like the noise so I could put my original back on..........I seem to alternate one month to another, depending on my mood
  20. Patrick

Patrick Member

[ QUOTE ]
    curtis11 said:
    if AMD said that i would not take my car to them as it sounds like ballicks. How can it damage the maf?
    and 500 bhp out of a rs4 is not that big a deal its just a chip, probably has standard exhaust aswell but that doesnt mean thats the way it should be done, some people like noise from their car, some people like a milk float sound.
    What i am sayin is it all personal taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steady on. Hhmm I too would be suprised to hear this would damage the MAF. But AMD know their stuff I can certainly vouch for that. I am a very happy customer of theirs. Regarding 500bhp from an RS4 from a chip alone. Alass not true. If so I'd have had mine chipped by now!! 420bhp from a basic remap but the torque jumps from 320ftlbs to 400ftlbs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif. Full Miltech i.e. 200cell CATS etc. 458bhp and 430ftlbs. 530bhp & 500ftlbs costs £14K!! Hybrid turbos, Gas flowed heads, Ceramic pistons, etc etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif
  21. curtis11

curtis11 Member

how can it damage the maf? i dont think its possible.
    As for your car only 40 bhp increase i think i would ask for my money back, i am suprised you even notice a 10.5% increase