1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excessive brake dust

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B8 Chassis)' started by Mcdubber1, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Mcdubber1

Mcdubber1 Member

[Aug 20, 2012]
    Does anyone else think that there is a hell of a lot of dust comes off the brakes on their B8?

Ive never had a car that produces so much brake dust and it's really annoying cos the car can look fairly clean but the wheels are bogging.

The brakes were replaced recently with genuine parts so it's not as if it's cheap **** parts that are the problem.

I think my mates car may be the same but it's harder to tell cos his wheels are black.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. Ben Richards

Ben Richards Audi Fanatic

[Aug 20, 2012]
    Yes, mine are the same. I cleaned my car and went out to get some photos drove about 30 miles, and I had to wipe the wheels over again before I took the photos.
  4. Mcdubber1

Mcdubber1 Member

[Aug 21, 2012]
    It's so annoying. At this rate my pads are gonna be worn out in no time.
  5. Ben Kader

Ben Kader New Member

[Aug 22, 2012]
    Mine is exactly the same
    Anyone know what brand of pads they use ?
  6. Daggerit

Daggerit Active Member

[Aug 22, 2012]
    I don't know what brand the OEM kit is but EBC advertise that their Redstuff pads produce significantly less dust but I unfortunately have no experience with them so can't comment first hand. Maybe worth looking into or seeing if there's someone who has used them before to ask?
  7. Soft lad

Soft lad Member

[Aug 22, 2012]
    I get the same issue but ive done 40,000 miles and im jo where near wearing mine out yet.
  8. Wolvo

Wolvo New Member

[Aug 24, 2012]
    Yep, after a few short runs the wheels need cleaning again
  9. tedward

tedward Member

[Aug 26, 2012]
    Mine is also pretty shocking. Don't know if it's worse being an auto as you are on off the brakes more but they are currently not far off black on the fronts after a very recent decent wash wax session.

Seem to remember a few years ago you could buy like plastic discs to shield the wheels from brake dust?? I would consider these as the car always looks unloved with mucky wheels.
  10. Artimus

Artimus Short Back

[Aug 26, 2012]
    Yea, even on the smaller, lighter A3 I get the same & have put it down to it being an auto..

I had some of those dust shields on a previous motor yonks ago, the problem with them was they blocked ventilation & caused your brakes to overheat whenever you partook in a little 'spirited' driving - not funny when you really need to stop quickly. :racer: