Eventually found the annoying noise in my car

Moffat

Reaction score
I've had my S3 since the start of the year, and there' always been an annoying noise in it. When I corner hard, something is loose in the car, and rolls back and forwards from side to side. I've had 2 weeks off work recently, so decided to get to the bottom of it. I started by taking the rear seats up, to see if anything was under there, but couldn't find anything. I've went further and further, until I've got to this point...

IMG 1167

I was running out of places to look, so I let a mate drive the car while I lay in the back to try and pinpoint the noise. I decided it was either in the tailgate, or the back panel in front of the bumper.
I pushed 2 small magnets down into 2 holes in the rear panel (the orange straws at either side of the back panel have the magnets stuck to the bottom of them) and took it for a spin. I must have instantly picked up the problem with them....

IMG 1168

3 nylon lock nuts! In that panel rolling about. They don't even belong on the car!
Glad I go that sorted!

Reactions: dre_S3, S3_Jacko, Ash187 and 2 others
Good effort! That's a serious stripdown for an annoying noise, but yea, i'd do the same.

Ha ha I'm glad to hear it's not just me that goes mad with rattles etc.

Well done and enjoy the peace!

Wow extreme but yeah like wuta3 i'd probably do the same to get to the bottom of it

A surprising discovery I made in doing this was, these cars seem to come apart awfully well. I've had a few Vauxhalls, and when you take them apart, it's guaranteed that clips are going to break.
I broke none in doing this. I was well chuffed! :happy:

Top effort. I would have just turned the music up a little louder :blink:

haha you my friend deferentially deserve to drive an audi , top job

another bonus is the nuts appear to be unused , so its win win !
good work though :salute:

Reactions: Moffat
I bet it was someone trying to put the rear bumper back on at some point and those are your 3 failed attempts at the 2 long studs along the boot door section lol

I know exactly where you mean. Actually, the car used to be vinyl wrapped white, and I found a couple of stray nuts and bolts kicking about down the side of the spare wheel etc. When I was looking about yesterday, I noticed that the nut that you mean, on the right hand side, was missing off the stud. I looked at the left hand side to see what it was like, and the nut that is in place on that side, is the same as one of the ones I found.
So if the bumper was off when they wrapped it, you may be right.