EVAP/vacuum line delete

depends on how bad the emissions are from your car.

I know a guy who fitted a newly built engine with no cat or evap/SAI/vents and his emmission levels went down from the stock engine with all that attached!

I am doing it so I will let you know.

B5 doesnt have a lot of that junk anyway.

Removing the tank vent stuff will make your car stink of petrol, and removing the PCV and venting to atmo will mean the cabin fills with oil fumes when your stationary in traffic.

I know both of these first hand, my old disco and my old nova had open tank vent lines and there was always a fuelly smell around the car, and the A4 had a split breather when we baught it, and it stunk of oil vapour in traffic. Even stopping at a set of lights with a hot engine was enough to fill the cabin with reek, and i'd rather the carcinogenic fumes stayed out of my lungs!!

edit: seems the B6 guy routes the two crank breathers down under the car, presumably in an attempt to keep them away from the cabin air intakes, which might work. It will probably cover the underside of your car in oily mank though.

Last edited:
Not sure if I am on the same page here or not, but before my quattro I had an E30 318IS bmw, and after some (not great) advise I removed the crank breather pipe that went back to the manifold/airbox and put a crank breather filter in place. As was told better performance, sweeter running etc. But found, as Aragon said at stationary the car started to smell a little bit, with no notice of any benefit I returned it to the standard set up and it was back to normal.

I don't think there is any noticeable performance gain from removing the vac/SAI and other crap.
It stops hot oily air going through your intake and intercooler which helps but doubt it will affect your seat of the pants dyno.

I have no fuel tank venting crap and there is no noticeable smell.
will be removing the rest when the engine goes in and running a catch tank with double skin and condensing medium internally so I hope that will affect the oil smell when stationary.
will let you know

jcb, have you removed the carbon can, or just left the carbon can open to atmo?

If you've left it, I wonder if the carbon acts to absorb the smell?