Etiquette

richh

Reaction score
Here's a conundrum - I got cut up last night on a roundabout by a S of a B. The problem is he was driving an A3, what is the recommended response??

RH

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shutup.gif

show him the bird and woop his ***

Doesn't matter what he's driving, if he's discourteous or worse then they deserve everything you want to give them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm not sure that the fact it was another Audi matters!

I'm sure that you were genuinely cut up in this instance by someone driving like a bell-end but I think that often what people consider to be cutting-up is just an example of another driver making creative and finely-judged use of the road conditions and the size of his car to exploit a gap he'd spotted in the traffic.

After years of driving in Italy where any gap in traffic is considered fair game and everyone generally drives in an alert fashion, I'm afraid I can't get very bothered by the sorts of opportunistic or aggressive driving tactics by others that the British consider being "cut-up". I remain convinced that as much danger in such circumstances comes from the particularly dopey drivers that this country seems to churn out in droves not paying full attention to what's going on around them rather than the aggressive manouevres of the driver just keen to get on with his journey. Personally, I've never had an accident as a result of anyone else's aggressive driving because I've usually noticed what they are about to do and steered adequately clear of it. In my view if someone wants to get past, let them go. Life is not a race but we all sometimes have to be in a hurry for one perfectly valid reason or another.

End of rant.

A controversial view I'm sure...

I agree completly with racing teatray - common sense, and after driving in southern italy as well, you learn to be more alert whether that's right or wrong, hell just expect everyone else on the road to be trying to drive into you then your pleasntly surprised when the don't!

Driving in italy is NOTHING like driving in central london.

In italy, the traffic lights are a bit different to over here, red means go. green means go.

The only thing that stops you going is other people /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gifD

Seriosuly though, everyone keeps going when the lights turn red, so the other people with the green light cant go and have to wait. Then when those lights turn red everyone gets so P!55Ed off with waiting that they go anyway! and then the next set of greens get delayed and have to go when the lights are red.

Its hilarious!

I didn't expect to be agreed with! But it's good to hear I'm not alone in my views.

By the way, the saying in Italy goes like this:

In Milan, traffic lights are an order.

In Rome, traffic lights are advice.

In Naples, they are merely street decoration.

U wanna try driving in Russia, u think Italy is bad, lol, u aint seen nothng yet!

I would just like to add something to the whole Itlay driving experience, I was in Syracuse (Sicily) for a few days on business and we drove down from Naples, great laugh, remember chasing a big Merc on the Autoroute doing silly speeds and the police just waived at us to slow down as there was an accident on a bridge just up ahead.

But that wasn't the best thing, we developed a great pastime of sitting at the cafe on the corner of the town square laughing our ***** off at the traffic trying to cross this patch of tarmac - no markings no rules and lots of mopeds. whilst drinking nice beer, great fun.

lol, dont they do that in amsterdam?

Sorry it's taken so long to respond to the replies to my original question - have been busy cutting up, sorry "making a creative and finely judged use of the road".

The point Mr Teatray is, that it WAS an A3, and surely we'd like to think that A3 drivers are slighty above that sort of thing when faced with "one of their own".

If you think Italy is bad*/good* (delete as applicable), you really should try places further afield, Uganda and Angola are well worth the experience.

RH

This is my first post so hi to eveyone! Just bought a 2002 225 S3 and looking at the APR ECU upgrade. Any advice on which is the better upgrade would be cool. I'm from Oz but live in Derby, now. Went to Turkey a few years ago. You think Russia is bad, holy crap, Turkey is the scariest drive I've ever had!

Hi Nik, Welcome to the forum! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif , interesting place for your first post, but anyways, a fine choice of motor you have there and definitely worthy of a chip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Is it only me or do others think the worst (arrogant and ignorant) drivers out there are in BMW's? Do their dealers sell the attitude along with the car?
I've noticed many times while driving in Seattle that they tend to be the worst for tailgating or cutting in, and that's replicated here in the UK.

Having driven in Turkey I'd say that would be the worst place I've ever been, scariest would be the USA where officer Perkins of King County PD actually unclipped the cover on his gun while reprimanding me for doing 84 in a 60 MPH zone (I'd hired the new Mustang, it GOES).
Luckily my old style fold out British driving licence seemed to throw him and he let me go, probably way too much paperwork.

Just got back from Madras, India! I would NEVER drive a car on those roads- EVER!!

However bad italy is and I havent been there I know for sure its probably a lot tamer in comparison.

3 lanes become seven, bikes give way to motorbikes, motorbikes give way to tuk tuk's, tuk tuk's give way to cars and cars give way to lorries- other than that if ur a predestrian ur screwed cos no one gibes a sh@t about u!

Oh and there is no 'Give Way' its 'Take Way' and sound your horn as often as possible!

Admitidly a population of 1 billion in India but with the higest road traffic mortalities a day (1000 die a day) it has to be given the title of most dangerous country to drive!

oh I forgot to mention the Bull Carts..........everyone stops for them in India!