ESP Warning Light

cazza

Reaction score
I have an Audi A3 Sportback 2007 and my ESP warning light is on, does anyone know what this means as in what problem do I have

This could be down to a boost leak somewhere or a split breather pipe

Hi,

Is the car quattro ? It just cost me over £800 to have the Haldex Control Unit replaced because this light was on, Esp is the Traction Control, and can be switched off, I doubt it is a boost leak, that would mean the 'engine fault' light would come on.

Hi,

Is the car quattro ? It just cost me over £800 to have the Haldex Control Unit replaced because this light was on, Esp is the Traction Control, and can be switched off, I doubt it is a boost leak, that would mean the 'engine fault' light would come on.

totally agree with the above comments on the possibility, but as usual and you have heard this countless times before - get it vagcom checked.

With regards to the ESP comment. I have heard a story about the early Audi TT's (and therefore early S3s-210bhp) where drivers would switch their ESP completely off and Audi decided to change it for safety concerns on the later 225 engines so that by switching the esp off you are in fact reverting to some other alternative default esp mapping - so it sounds like it's not completley off .
Unless someone with more knowledge cares to comment.

Try asking in the 8P section but if its just the ESP light on I would say that the ESP is turned off.
I believe if their is a fault with the traction control system it turns off the ABS aswell as both systems are interconnected, so you would have the ESP and ABS lights on and you would have a flashing red ! and 3 dongs on startup.

Could be wrong tho.

totally agree with the above comments on the possibility, but as usual and you have heard this countless times before - get it vagcom checked.

With regards to the ESP comment. I have heard a story about the early Audi TT's (and therefore early S3s-210bhp) where drivers would switch their ESP completely off and Audi decided to change it for safety concerns on the later 225 engines so that by switching the esp off you are in fact reverting to some other alternative default esp mapping - so it sounds like it's not completley off .
Unless someone with more knowledge cares to comment.
e46 bmw were the same you had to press and hold the esp for it to be competely off iirc

press and hold ? by pressing it once the light comes on to indicate it's off so are you suggesting to keep it pressed for a bit longer - how long ? Or do you mean keep the button pressed down until the light comes on rather than release it quickly to get the light on ?

ESP light coming on could also be down to your tracking - if for instance you steering wheel is slightly out, vagcom will log it and occasionally switch your ESP off ;)