ESP Warning Lamp

sharpr

Reaction score
Every so often, the ESP warning lamp illuminates when I start my car from cold and stays on, which would indicate some sort of fault to me. The lamp goes out if the engine is stopped and started again.

My dealer had a look at it, but said that there were no faults recorded.

My warranty is due to run out this year, therefore I would prefer to get this fixed before then, therefore has anybody else experienced a simillar fault? Is so, how was it rectified?

My car was back at the dealer again today to fix some other things, therefore I requested them to consider the ESP fault again.

Consequently, the service report sates that they carried out a 5051 test which has identified a fault with the YAW rate sender. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anybody know what a 5051 test is?
Anybody know what a YAW rate sender is?

Anyway, another YAW rate sender has been ordered, so it will have to go back to get that installed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RAS said:

Anybody know what a 5051 test is?
Anybody know what a YAW rate sender is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi RAS,

Not being a techie in the mechanics dept, I can't take the credit for this info, but found a top site that explains what the YAW rate and detector is Yaw Rate Info

The YAW rate sensor "determines how far off-axis a car is "tilting" in a turn. This information is then fed into a microcomputer that correlates the data with wheel speed, steering angle and accelerator position, and, if the system senses too much yaw, the appropriate braking force is applied". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif Clever stuff...!

I can't tell you much about the 5051 test but it seems to be the standard Audi diagnostic and fault finding tool.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I'm sure someone will be able to provide a more detailed explanation of this test..

Hope this help?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

chimmo, nice looking car mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Denim ROCKS!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

As for the 5051, it's just the diagnostic "Computer" (for lack of a better term).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hi Drill,

It sure is Denim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif Couldn't not buy it when I saw it, such a great colour... the car's not that bad either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif