1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESP Question

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Joshwaa, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Joshwaa

Joshwaa New Member

[Apr 22, 2011]
    Hi,

I am about to buy a used 2.0L FSi Sportback which I test drove this afternoon. All was good except for an odd moment where I approached a corner too quickly in 4th gear, slowed down and as I came out of the corner, I changed down a gear. This seemed to trigger some effect whereby the power of the engine was limited and even in first gear, I could not get the engine to go about 2000 revs.

The only solution was for me to switch the car off and start it up again. Thinking back, I remembered that there were a couple of lights on the dashboard - one was the "slippery road" symbol and the other was the ESP. Having trawled these forums, I understand that ESP must have been turned off based on these symbols.

With the ESP off, is this normal behaviour? Also, is restarting the car the only way to "reset" the state of the car to normal?

Apologies if these are newbie questions - this car is going to be my first car!

Many thanks in advance!!

Josh
  2. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

[Apr 22, 2011]
    Something adrift there mate. Get it scanned for faults before you part with a penny !!!!! sounds to me like it went into limp mode.
  3. Minstadave

Minstadave Member

[Apr 22, 2011]
    ESP symbol is the slippery road symbol, sounds like a lemon, I'd definately think twice about parting with your cash.
  4. Joshwaa

Joshwaa New Member

[Apr 22, 2011]
    Thanks for the quick replies.

Could this be the ESP problem that crops up regularly in this forum? As the car is from an Audi dealer, I could get them to fix it for me before purchasing it.

Josh
  5. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

[Apr 22, 2011]
    Josh
    Tell them you would like them to acknowledge the problem before you part with any cash. Make it clear that you would like it sorted before you pick it up and will return it under their 30 day exchange scheme if they cant sort it.
    Its probably an easy fix but its best to cover yourself.