ESP over speed humps, but only in the wet?

elgjc3

Reaction score
Hello,

Apologies for this being only my second post and not contributing anything before wading in with a question.

Has anyone else experienced the ESP light coming on in an S3 when going over speed bumps, but only in the wet? It cuts in as the back wheels go over the bump.

The fact it only does it only in the wet surprises me as I would have expected, maybe wrongly so, that if it were to come on at all, it would do it in both wet and dry? Is it possible that water is getting into a sensor and causing this or am I being paranoid over nothing and it's working fine?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Regards,

The Doctor

I'm only guessing, but it would be more likely to come in in the wet, as the roads are more slippery?

Haven't noticed it on speed bumps - tend to take foot off the pedal and depress clutch going over them,so no call for the ESP, but it does kick in every morning going up my driveway - wet or dry!

ESP 'kick in' seems to be very unpredicatable at times, coming on when u least expect it to. Mine NEVER came on regardless of wet or dry but since lowering it seems to think that 3 mph is excessive and stops me getting out of junctions quickly. Im now trying to get in the habit of switching it off when i need to make rapid progress .
Whats causing im not yet sure of....

you DO realise your supposed to slow down for mini roundabouts? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I have a theory on this one.
As your rear wheels get to the speed bump they start to 'climb' it and the suspension will compress slightly. As this happens the turning of the rear wheels produces upwards and forward motion while the fronts produce forward motion. Since the net forward motion must remain equal the rears must turn slightly more. This gets picked up by the ABS sensors and the ESP module gets momentarily concerned that rear grip has been lost. Dunno why this would only happen in the wet though . . . I think it will be easier to explain why Audi Girl's sideways antics on mini roundabouts causes the light to come on . . .

[ QUOTE ]
Mutley said:
I think it will be easier to explain why Audi Girl's sideways antics on mini roundabouts causes the light to come on . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

You've seen her drive then ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, I think your explanation makes sense, seems the ESP is a bit too sensitive. Suprising it doesn't turn off at low speeds ( say below 20mph ).

[ QUOTE ]
Mutley said:
I have a theory on this one... Dunno why this would only happen in the wet though . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't just the wet. I have to drive through a hump obstacle course most mornings and it comes on wet or dry. It tends to come on if pushing it a little, and usually when one of the rear wheels is on the hump while the other is on the road level.