ESP light & steering problem on return from M.O.T

guzzy_431

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have an Audi S3 2002 AMK almost stage 2 atm. The problem I have is after receiving my car back from having M.O.T being done last week, I'd noticed my ESP light was on. I attempted to switch it off from main traction unit, nothing happened. I also noticed my steering wheel was slightly out when the wheels are centred.

I had taken my car back to garage, to the mechanic, who had taken my car to the M.O.T Centre around the corner. He will have a look at it later on today hopefully.

I've read up on the possible problems it could be with ESP traction light..coil pack or spark plugs might need to be change. I hav'nt got round to do this yet since modding car last year & I have a custom remap stage2 booked in at R-Tech this Wedesday. Would It be best for me to sort this before hand & any ideas about my steering wheel??

If the wheels are straight and steering is not then someone has changed something, unless it was like that before and you didnt notice.
Ask if they removed the steering wheel for any reason. If they did you will need to reset the steering angle sensor.
When I bought my car, the sensor was 180deg out and I coudnt turn the ESP light off.
You will need Vagcom to reset it
Remove the steering wheel, adjust the sensor to 0deg ( check vagcom measuring block for the read out ) becarefull not to turn it the wrong way as I have heard that if you turn the sensor too many times, something will break on the inside!

Has he pranged it while out on the road in it without you knowing?

I wondered to... or whether it woz one of the guy's from m.o.t place but I know if I asked & someone had, I doubt there admit it.

If the wheels are straight and steering is not then someone has changed something, unless it was like that before and you didnt notice.
Ask if they removed the steering wheel for any reason. If they did you will need to reset the steering angle sensor.
When I bought my car, the sensor was 180deg out and I coudnt turn the ESP light off.
You will need Vagcom to reset it
Remove the steering wheel, adjust the sensor to 0deg ( check vagcom measuring block for the read out ) becarefull not to turn it the wrong way as I have heard that if you turn the sensor too many times, something will break on the inside!

Yeh 100% it wasn't like that when I had my car before hand, I will ask them later if they did need to alter steering at all. I'm hoping it can be sorted 2day before my remap 2moz.

Nice1

The slip ring, if turned to many times can be pulled out of its connecions, but this only happens when 2 situations are current, 1st the steering column lower bolt is not connected to the rack, so it doesnt have a stop point or someone has moved the slip ring by hand & not centered it, so its already fully locked 1 way or other when wheels are actually straight, so turning it further pulls wires out, so doubt its this, unless they've removed the wheel & messed about or the column was undone at bottom.