1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESP Fault After Changing Battery

chrisb72 Mar 7, 2012

1. chrisb72

chrisb72 Active Member Team Panther Audi S3

Just changed my car battery and after starting up with the new battery fitted the ESP Fault light has come on with a yellow steering wheel symbol on the dashboard!

Can someone shed any light on this or do I now need to visit my dealer?

I don't have VCDS do access any fault codes.

I didn't have the fault before changing the battery.

2. audicruiser

audicruiser Audi Heaven

The lights may go off if you drive it...

MrWhItEwOlF likes this.
  3. Silky-S3

Silky-S3 Is loving his new 8V S3!

Thats normall mate, just have a drive round the block, it will go off after a few hundred meters.

4. chrisb72

Sorted :)

5. Sidhu88

Sidhu88 Active Member

Did your steering get all wobbly on you for a bit?

6. chrisb72

Didn't have chance to notice any steering problems as the ESP light had gone off by the time I reverseved out of the drive.

It gave me a sinking feeling for a second as I thought I'd messed something up during the change over!

7. Sidhu88

Sidhu88 Active Member

Same. I was actually on the way to a mechanic with vagcom to check it then it went off as i was driving. The steering wheel symbol was on as i pulled out onto the main road and the car was pulling all over the place for a few seconds then the light went off and steering went back to normal.

8. chrisb72

To be honest my panic was short lived after I received 2 very quick replies to my forum thread and I also found confirmation of what the warning fault was in the owners manual.

I'm sure there is some technical logical reason for it, but it seems a bit strange to me!?

9. Sidhu88

Sidhu88 Active Member

I think its just due to the system resetting itself somehow. I reckon a few meters of driving passes signals to the ecu which shows there are no faults n then the lights go off. The steering is probably recalibration, or its figuring out its position

10. Boydie

Boydie S3 8V DSG VCDS Map User

All lights go off after driving a short distance - I have disconnected my battery on numerous occasions and changed it last weekend.

11. posty555

posty555 New Member

Hi all

I have a A3 and on three occasions now the car has somehow disconneced itself and the esp light and steering light (both yellow) come on, but dissapear after i drive off.. The weired thing is this has occured after heavy rain only!!! :s

My question is

Do i need a new battery?
    Is my battery faulty?

But it doesnt explain, only happening in haevy rain.

Cars not in warranty so cant get a vagcom plugged in unless i pay the stealers £140!!!!!!

12. Dannykn9

Dannykn9 "Cruise My Ride" VCDS Map User

Where you based fella, as plenty of us here have vcds and will do a scan for a little drink :)

13. posty555

posty555 New Member

Hi ya im based near enfield... Ha just saw you from enfield..