1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESP button...?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Peloton, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Peloton

Peloton Member

Hi everyone,

Picked my S3 up yesterday & I'm absolutely loving it! :racer:
    The ESP question is regarding where the button would be situated. I'm pretty sure when I took it a test drive last week, the button was down next to the handbrake. When I got home with it yesterday I looked down to find it had disappeared! The panel where the button was has been replaced with a small storage duct thing. When I phoned the dealership to get on their case about it, the salesguy tried to tell me he knew nothing about it being there in the first place, he even tried to test my knowledge by asking what it did! He also stated if it did have ESP the button would have been situated on the dash. I'm about 90% positive it was down next to the handbrake. I was adamant with him it had been taken out so he said he'd speak to the mechanics about it & phone me back tomorrow. The car's going back in next week anyway to get an MOT (something they didn't have time for) so they can put it back in then.
    Just for that bit more ammo if he tries to fleece me, would the ESP button normally be on the dash or would it be down next to the handbrake?

Thanks for any help.
  2. DPM

DPM Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

What year is it? It should be on the right of the dash in the middle of two other buttons which are blanks. The hazard warning lighnt button and cup holder will be to the left of it.
  3. Peloton

Peloton Member

It's an early 2000 pre face-lift model. This is strange then, I'm positive it was down there. :confused:
  4. ChriS3

ChriS3 hud at ye bam

Don't think the early ones had ESP....
  5. DPM

DPM Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

with pre face lift i think it was an optional extra, not 100% on it though. why would they remove the button, thats what i can't understand!
  6. madvw

madvw Active Member

esp was introduced on the facelifts. The earlier models only had traction control and abs.
  7. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

ESP was no available on early 1999 cars, then was an optional extra during late 1999... and was standard on facelift cars.
  8. Peloton

Peloton Member

After much wondering on that one ourselves, we came up with the reason it could have been knackered so to save fixing it they just took it out. :confused:
  9. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

If it's an early car probably never had it and doesn't need it... just remember don't lift off if things get interesting that's the whole point of the 4WD!
  10. bantam1

bantam1 Member

Mine is a 2000 with ESP and the button is on the dash as stated above clearly marked 'ESP'.

This sounds a bit like a conspiracy theory to me.

Are you sure the thing next to the handbrake wasn't a Cadbury's button? If so it's probably a good job the stealers have stolen it considering the current health scare!

I think it is probably just a pre ESP car.

Regards,

B.
  11. Peloton

Peloton Member

hmmm well not much I can say really, I was sure I seen one there but by the sounds of things it shouldn't have been there either way.
  12. neil.c

neil.c Senior

ESP was not available on my car :( and that is a 2000 MY
  13. amoani

amoani Member

I have got a pre facelift 2000 S3 and the ESP button is on the dash next to the right hand heated seat switch. As far as i am aware there are no buttons by the handbrake. Hope this helps.

Aaron
  14. Peloton

Peloton Member

I have figured out where I seen the illusive button! It was in the Seat Leon Cupra Sport. I think I test drove a couple too many cars that day. :undwech:
  15. S3_MCD

S3_MCD Member

at least ur not going mad :)