ESP & ABS lights staying on Dash - B7 Avant Sline 55 plate

damodici

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm sorry to ask what i presume is a basic question but we're having a problem with our car.

The ESP & ABS lights occasionally light up and stay on the dash, this seems to happen randomly.

I noticed it for the first time about a month ago but by the time we'd done the family shop and come back to the car they went.

The mrs uses the car to drop the kids off on route to work and she's told me it happens 'here and there' but again so randomly.

Im guessing its a sensor somewhere but i've tried searching ABS & ESP but because they're such short search terms its proving hard to figure it out.

Any help or guidance to a 'fix thread' would be greatly appreciated, ideally if its some parts we can buy and have a friend fit them all the better, especially with Christmas coming up and all our money being tied up in Peppa Pig paraphernalia

cheers

First thing to do before you start assuming its this or that is to have a scan performed on your car.

You need someone with, ideally VCDS, or some other diagnostics able to view fault codes.

Last edited:
As above, had the same on my B6.

First step is VCDS scan. If it's a faulty ABS sensor then it's not too bad, part around £80-£100. Not too bad to fit.

Hi Guys,

I'm sorry to ask what i presume is a basic question but we're having a problem with our car.

The ESP & ABS lights occasionally light up and stay on the dash, this seems to happen randomly.

I noticed it for the first time about a month ago but by the time we'd done the family shop and come back to the car they went.

The mrs uses the car to drop the kids off on route to work and she's told me it happens 'here and there' but again so randomly.

Im guessing its a sensor somewhere but i've tried searching ABS & ESP but because they're such short search terms its proving hard to figure it out.

Any help or guidance to a 'fix thread' would be greatly appreciated, ideally if its some parts we can buy and have a friend fit them all the better, especially with Christmas coming up and all our money being tied up in Peppa Pig paraphernalia

cheers
Where are you located? I'm sure we will have a vcds cable holder near you.

would the VCDS software be able to say whether it could be a front or rear wheel sensor or isn't it that specific ?

It will usually pinpoint a sensor ie n/s/f etc but getting it plugged in is what needs done, plenty of help with codes etc on here

Would point you in a specific direction, for example, NSF wheel sensor, but doesnt mean it will be the sensor.

Could be the sensor, associated wiring, reluctor ring, etc.

Thanks all so far, looks like I need to get it looked at with the vcds software then

Hopefully there's some one close